"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween Made Simple.

So Halloween is TOMORROW.

School Halloween parties.....today.

A song returns to my mind every Halloween Eve:

What am I gonna be for Halloween?
Gotta dress up, but gee, I can't decide....
Should I be something frightful, or something more delightful?
Make people laugh, or make them run and hide??
I could be scary, or merry, or something in between....
What am I gonna be? "I know, I'll be an Alarm Clock"
What am I gonna be? "No, I haven't got the time"
Oh, WHAT AM I GOING TO BE FOR HALLOWEEN??

Kaia came home from school yesterday (yes, she is well enough - Hallelujah. The fever has been gone for 4 days now....) and asked me this question. So, for traditions sake, we went downstairs, looked through our dress-up bin and used that as a source for inspiration.

That's right. All the preparation and planning and sewing and hard work that all my friends do for THEIR kids.....nope. I walk them to the basement, remind them of their dress ups and away we go... I choose to think of it as a great way to develop their imagination....

So, Kaia sees her cowgirl hat and she decides to go with it. We just got some bandanas on clearance at Walmart a few weeks ago and she has a cute jean skirt that she could use. Hey, Saryn just got a stick horse (unicorn) for her birthday. Oh man, that doesn't quite work because Unicorns are in short supply out here in the west. Well, that's okay, I'll be a cowgirl FAIRY!! There's a wand that I got for me birthday too!! Perfect! Done!
Kaia also drew a picture of herself this morning. Just in case someone couldn't see the REAL picture. I was REALLY impressed!
Kienna isn't quite as anxious to dive in, but she starts getting excited. She has her eyes on a Hula Skirt that Kaia had as a favor from her birthday party 2 (almost 3) years ago. Done! That's all the Kienna wants. Okay Kienna, do you want to have this Lei too? No, I don't. It's too itchy. Okay, Kienna, but why don't you look at my friends blog who lives in Hawaii right now. Look, they're wearing Leis.... Okay, I'll wear that too.

Saryn puts on a tutu and finds some pretty glittering shoes.....she's done!

And Jaymeson - he gets the giraffe thrown on him because that's what 1 year olds get in our house!
(pictures of the younger two to come)
Done!

30 minutes flat!

I have heard the quote: "If you have a difficult task, give it to someone lazy. This person will find an easier way of doing it". I like to think of this as the motto of my life! Find an easier way...

After we went upstairs and had dinner, Kaia asked me if I could just quickly help her write a song for Halloween......Um, sure.....Why not? I mean, what would be Halloween without the traditional Halloween Song writing??

So, she wrote down the words that she wanted all by herself (while I put Jaymeson and Saryn to bed).... and then brought it to me for some notation. She would sing it for me and I would plunk it out on the piano until we figured out the right sound. Then I would notate it on the staff for her. She would even tell me when a note was being played too high or low or if the note was too long or short. She really had an ear for what exactly she wanted...
You know, Mozart may have written his first Symphony at Six, but he hadn't written a Halloween song. Kaia has.....at SIX!! Stand aside Mozart.....we win!

Here's the score should anyone want to learn and play it at home. It's free for now, but in a few years it could be worth a fortune! My little musical genius....
At the top of the page it reads...
"A witch is in the sky. And goests avrywhere. Bats on avry brant. Or you scard av thos bad sperits. Yes YesYesYes. It's Hallow Hey s10times." (and with spelling adjusted....)
"A Witch is in the sky and ghosts are everywhere. Bats on every branch. Are you scared of those bad spirits? Yes Yes Yes Yes!! It's Halloween Hey (sung 10 times)

I suggested to forfeit the singing "It's Halloween Hey" 10 times, but repeat the verse with "It is Halloween." She really liked that idea....so here's the final result.....

Well, they're off to school, doing the Halloween Party. I can't wait to hear about all the fun things they did!! We'll see what other Halloween goodness we'll be doing!

7 comments:

Hayley said...

You're right... this song is much more impressive then mine. Haha. I love it! When I leave the library I will have to test it out...

Sheila said...

Make sure you keep all these. THey are amazing and priceless. What talent she has!!
Happy Halloween

Oler Family said...

what a smart little girl! who EVER writes a song...never mind a six year old!! happy halloween!

Christie said...

Thats quite the song! :-) I do the exact same thing w/ my kids for Halloween. They are MORE then welcome to go out and spend their own $ on a cute costume... Im not buying it tho. Therefore, the usually opt to dig in the box and get creative.

Jordana said...

Wow, very impressive Kaia! When she's famous I'll be able to tell everyone that I once taught her younger sister so I can have some connection, haha. I love the dress up box idea, that's all we ever did growing up and it really did make us get creative, I love Halloween!

Alanna said...

Wow Kaia! I can't figure out how to get my computer to the piano to try out the song...perhaps your mom should add a sound clip to the post? But very impressive!

Nikki (and Crew!) said...

Amelie's gonna be a giraffe tonight! I wonder if it's the same one? We'll see.