"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Sunday, October 4, 2009

My FIND!

My cousin, Alyson, called me on Friday asking me to accompany her to IKEA. Done! I'm always up for a trip there. Saryn's potty trained, so she went into Smallville (the play place there) and it was just me and my cousin and our babies. So much more relaxing! Anyway, I ran into my friend, Ben, who recommended that I check out the "as is" section to see if one of the shelving units that I like are there.

I picked up Saryn from Smallville and headed over to "AS IS" and I begin to scour the boxes and I find a couple things that look like shelves, but were apparently wardrobes. I began to give up - then I saw it.... it was a double wide shelving unit. 6 shelves of goodness. It said it was damaged on the box, but it was regular price $145 and marked down to $80. So I began to weigh the price with the risk, yadda yadda yadda.... I had decided it might not be worth it....but then I saw the sign. It was BEAUTIFUL!! It said, "All boxed AS IS units - additional 60% off". SOLD!! $32 for a unit that was regularly $145 - I couldn't believe it. I had no idea what colour it was or how damaged it was or anything, but it was worth a $32 risk to me. My kids DESPERATELY needed a new shelf in their room and even if a shelf was broken in two, I could work around it.

I got it home and Ally and I went right to work to assemble it and put it together. It was perfect. I still have no idea why it was labeled "damaged". It's in perfect condition, it's a great colour and it fits in my kids room like it was custom made. I'm DELIGHTED!! It doesn't feel cheap, like a lot of IKEA stuff does....it seems like a lasting piece. Even Jarett showed some excitment with the find. It works. So, here it is... my FIND!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a steal! I know the Ikea in calgary has good as is stuff also. the EQ3 right beside Ikea in calgary is cheap, its better quality but tries to compete with ikea and we found what we were looking for cheaper and better made there because they were trying to keep up!

Brittany said...

That is fantastic! Well Done. I think I'm going to stop at IKEA on the way home. I love that place

Unknown said...

I LOVE the AS IS place, i find that I go there just for fun to see if I can match up anything to add to my decorating. LOVE IT!

Delcia said...

Gee Ash...I don't know...I loved that old shelf where all the books fell out the one end all the time...it was great!!

Mackenzie Richards said...

IKEA is one of my favorite places to be. When I go, I hit the as-is first, then go about my shopping, then I hit the as-is one more time before I leave because sometimes they add more stuff while I'm shopping. We have found some great deals there. All my curtains and our toy storage unit were found in the as-is. I'm a believer! And you had a very good find! And it makes it better because it was cheaper than you originally thought it would be!