"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

It's not what it seems....


Jarett and I had quite a humorous conversation last night. We both love reading and have had several words that we found out years later that we've been mispronouncing. Either that or had heard something that we misheard and repeated wrong.

Examples:

Deny - Jarett found this one out in about grade 2, but he thought it was pronounced "Denny". He tried to use it in a sentence in class and his teacher corrected him.
Tide Over - I always thought this was "Tie Over". It still bugs me, but I totally thought that instead of it being like the tide bringing something over, it was a musical type term (this shows how into music I have been my whole life) like when a musical note is tied to the next note, it's called a tie. So when you're trying to carry something over, you're "tie"ing it over.
Cache - Pronounced 'Cash' not 'Cake'. This one you can understand why Jarett heard it wrong in his mind. He thought of the word 'ache' and just added a 'c' in front. His other examples of words that back up his reasoning are stomachache, headache and earache. I was laughing so hard. He's so funny. I told him me may need to branch away from types of aches to really convince people, but it's hard to think of an example the other way too. It was just hilarious that he found out while trying to use the word to impress my Dad and was corrected :).

Anyway, just had a good laugh last night and thought I'd pass it on. Anyone else have a word or phrase that they had wrong in their head for a while and were corrected on later?


On another note: This morning, we were running late for school so I asked Kaia to tell me her favorite scripture story instead of trying to actually sit and read some of the scriptures. I was expecting a "there was a guy named Ammon....um, I don't remember" kind of a response. Instead, she came out and said, "So there was a guy named Abinadi and he went and spoke to a wicked kind named Noah. " She continued on for about 5 minutes including absolutely perfect details. I stood there dumbfounded. I couldn't believe something had sunk in that deep that we had talked about. It has been at least 3 months since we talked about Abinadi and she was pulling out details like, "When he was being burned he said, 'Lord, Receive my spirit'" and that he prophesied that King Noah's life would be like a shirt in a furnace (it's actually garment, but I explained what a garment was by saying a shirt when we learned it). Anyway, after months of persistance and thinking that the kids would get NOTHING out of scripture study except for (hopefully) the habit, I had a rewarding moment as a mother. Those are just so rare, I had to share my elation!!

7 comments:

Cindy Anderton said...

what a good mom doing scripture study. I have the movies as a good back up so hopefully they'll learn the stories.

Cindy Anderton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alysha Sladek said...

doesn't it feel great - such a proud mommy moment!!

Jordana said...

That's funny! One of my friends thought that roast beef was called roast beast (from the Grinch) until she was about 12!

Megan C said...

Well I never had a word per se, but up until my 5th year of marriage I used to think that a visa (credit card) and a visa (to get into a country) were the same thing and I thought that it was ingenious marketing on visa's part that they would be the only company that had those sorts of strings. . . I mean I never heard of someone waiting to get their mastercard before they were allowed to go to a country.

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

love those Mom moments when you can be proud! i need to at leastmake it a habit and then maybe I will have a spiritually brilliant child like yours! I'm having one of those be a better mom moments apperently!

Alanna said...

That's awesome Ashley. Jarom remembers lots of details, but not always the ones I hope. Like he told the story of Ammon at FHE and kind of wanted to forget about king Lamoni and just talk about cutting off arms.

I- have lots of dumb words.
Used to think Volleyball was "Ball"ey Ball.
-Used to think the guy was "cryyyyying over you" because she held his hand so tight...it must have hurt
-I know there's more but I'm drawing a blank

I do remember however that you'd always use "take for granted" and "take advantage" interchangably. I don't know if you knew that.