"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Amazing Grace

This morning has been one of those mornings where I've been laughing constantly. Simply because if I didn't laugh, I'd be screaming. As we all woke up and got going, I asked Kienna if she would make her bed and then come downstairs for breakfast. We were able to all get dressed, have breakfast, scripture study and family prayer before I even heard from Kienna again. I had just opened up an email from my grandmother containing this incredible video of Il Divo singing Amazing Grace. I was thoroughly enjoying the moment and feeling quite moved when she came downstairs (please have Amazing Grace singing in your mind as your listen to our conversation):

Mom: Oh good, you have your bed made.
Kienna: No! I CAN'T make it.
Mom: Why? What's making it so hard.
Kienna: I have fire in my stomach.
Mom: Oh, well if you're sick, maybe you should go back to bed and have a rest.
Kienna: No, I'm not sick, I just FEEL like I have fire in my stomach.
Mom: Oh, I thought you had REAL fire in your stomach.
Kienna: No I don't!
Mom: Okay, well, if you aren't feeling sick, why don't you go just do your best and I'll help you finish up the little wrinkles.
Kienna: No, I just CAN'T!!
Mom: Honey, I've seen you make your bed lots of times and you do a REALLY good job. Why can't you make it today?
Kienna: I don't know (Bill Cosby fans can start laughing right here)
Mom and Kienna together: Sigh
Mom starts watching incredible music video again
Kienna: Mom, you know why I can't make my bed?? Because I'm UGLY!
Mom: WHAT??!?!??! You are not ugly.
Kienna: NO MOM!! I said I'm HUNGRY! (She may have said this the first time, but this is what I heard - I swear).
Mom: Okay, go have some breakfast really fast and then finish your bed.
Kienna walks away and then runs back in crying: Mom, there's no more cereal.
Mom: Yes there is hon, just let me finish this video (somehow it was still inspiring) and I'll come get it ready for you.
Kienna: But I want to get myself breakfast.
Mom: Okay, well, why don't you go grab a magic cheese (aka Cheese Strings) and then go make the bed. I'll have something waiting for you when you get back.
Kienna gets the magic cheese and comes back in complaining that it is too cold. I warm it up for her. She eats it and complains about how she'll never be able to make her bed. I remind her that I just want her to do the BEST she CAN. That doesn't mean it's perfect, it doesn't even mean that it's close to good, just PLEASE try.
She then collapses in tears.

Saryn then chooses this moment to kick her and to play with all her school papers creating even more agony. Kienna then makes her last stand and goes upstairs to make her bed. I finish it up and help her realize it is NOT the impossible task she has pegged it to be.

As I was watching this inspiring video, I realized how much this situation must be replayed in the eternal scheme of things. How often is Heavenly Father looking down watching his children just pleading with them:
"PLEASE, JUST DO THE BEST YOU CAN!! I'll do the rest! I'll make up for what you can't do. Just please do what I KNOW you are capable of!"
Then we go through every excuse in the book as to why we can't do this simple task. I just need this, I just need that. I can't do it without doing THIS first. I have these other commitments that I think are more important. Whatever our excuse may be.

Regardless, it was a humbling moment. I think I do this a lot more than I'd like to admit....maybe the apple isn't falling far from the tree?!?

Either way, I'm thankful for his 'Amazing Grace; which was hitting me really hard as this scene unfolded to me.

6 comments:

Ashley Smith said...

I like this.

Christie said...

Great insight thanks.

Becky said...

Amazing! That will be in my mind for a while!

stone's eye view said...

I like how you heard "cause I'm ugly." Like thats possible for cute Kienna.

stone's eye view said...

I like how you heard "cause I'm ugly." Like thats possible for cute Kienna.

Delcia said...

Good thoughts ash!