"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Cahoon Book Worms!

If anyone knows Jarett, they know that he's a regular book worm. He always has at least 1 book that he's reading and there's usually a few others that he has started around the house. I have caught onto this bug and have started reading as well. It seems that it might be genetic, however, as Kaia is reading like crazy in both French and English (apparently her teacher told her she's reading English at a Grade 4 level and, because she's in French Immersion, she hasn't even learned any English yet). Anyway, the pattern seems to be continuing as all the kids get older. There's been a lot of reading around this place! We all have books we're very excited about reading and it has been great! Jarett is enthralled in many James Clavell and Wilbur Smith (both Historical Fiction) books, but is right now reading, The Winds of War.
I just finished Little Women (which I LOVED - it has such great lessons to learn from it) and I am now thoroughly enjoying Pride and Prejudice. This book is found around the house everywhere. I can't go anywhere without it.


Kaia, Kienna and Saryn are all enjoying a chapter or so of Little House in the Big Woods (the first of the Little House on the Prairie series). As their cousins are all VERY big fans of the show and the books, we have jumped on the bandwagon and the kids love it!! (Saryn actually sits still to listen to it).


Saryn loves looking through books constantly. This one happens to be a hymnbook with pictures in it, but she tells me the story in it and she loves learning the stories behind the pictures. It's been a really great teaching opportunity.


Even little Jaymeson has caught the reading bug. He's a BUSY BUSY boy and does not even come close to sitting still, unless he's on my lap and I am reading him a story. He LOVES books. He loves turning the pages and seeing pictures and hearing the sounds of the words. He's even mimicking words and talking quite a bit (in baby talk). He hits the pictures with excitement. All he needs now is to be lying down with his foot up on his opposite knee and he really would be a clone of his father...


Anyway, that's just a little bit of what is going on around here.

4 comments:

April said...

HOORAY for books!

April said...

HOORAY for books!

Ashley Smith said...

That is so awesome. I really hope my kids end up the same way. I read all the little house books when I was younger, I hope your girls love them.

Christie said...

I love this post. what a wonderful bug to catch