"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Monday, September 7, 2009

Random events

Where to begin?? Well, a-blogging we will go. we'll start small (mostly because I'll forget those faster) and then we'll do events one at a time.

Saryn in a prayer: "Thank you that I look so cute in a pony-tail."

Last night she was asleep and I gave her a hug and whispered in her ear: "Good night sweet little girl." She rolled over and mumbled, "Big girl" and fell right back asleep.

Kaia lost her 2 front teeth this summer.....she looks SO cute. It literally took until her big tooth came in before she'd let her other one be pushed out. I finally was able to convince her that I could pull her second front tooth out when it was completely hanging down and bleeding. She literally screamed for 5 minutes at the top of her lungs and then was glad it was over... check her out.


Jaymeson surprised us with how fast he got all his teeth in. This picture was taken in July when his third tooth popped through his gum. He actually just got his 6th this past week and hopefully we'll have no more for a little while. Teething is quite horrid....but doesn't he look super cute??

Jarett and I had a great opportunity to go to the Canada Day football game between the Stampeders and the Alouettes. Ben Cahoon is a slotback with the Montreal Alouettes. He won the award for the Most Outstanding Canadian in the CFL two years in a row in 2002 and 2003. He is currently 7th overall pass receiver in the history of the CFL......he's also Jarett's 2nd cousin. Ben had given some tickets to his first cousin who is in my parents ward. They couldn't attend, so they passed them on to the second cousins. I couldn't BELIEVE the seats. It was AWESOME. Front row seats in McMahon Stadium right at the end line. It was a phenomenal game - even though the stampeders won. It was really fun to have people around us wearing an Alouette jersey with CAHOON written across the back yelling out, "Bring out Cahoon". It was also great to be out without the kids and do something different than dinner and/or a movie! Check out these seats!

This is what they made us do. We told them Ben Cahoon was a cousin and they were all excited when we walked by. One guy even said, "Hey move over - that's Cahoon's cousin". It was really funny. I had no idea he was THAT big. I was also totally hit on by a couple of really drunk huge idiots. It was great. What more could you want from a football game?
The view from our seats while sitting down...

Brooklyn went to grad a couple times when we first got here. One time she got to go in an AMAZING car. Check this baby out.....


She looked so gorgeous and it was so much fun to see her all growed up...

Our "brother" (who has adopted himself into our family) went on his mission in May. He is going Hmong speaking and it's crazy that he's going to be gone for so long. My sister Kim and her friend Melissa hosted a party and we made a Book of Mormon cake in Hmong. I did the writing and was very proud of how little I could write. It was really fun to challenge myself.
Alanna, my older sister, and I used to compete in speech competitions doing poems, stories, solo scenes and duologues. We had MANY a great times in the process, but one of Alanna's favorites (she actually was invited to provincials to compete with this piece) was called "Quilters". It was about a young Tom Boy who was just sick about her older sister who made a whole bunch of Sunbonnet Sue Quilts. To please her mother, this poor girl decides to make her own Sunbonnet Sue Quilt and calls it the 'Demise of Sunbonnet Sue'. It's hilarious and we often go back and remember it.
Ironically, Alanna has turned into that older sister who is the big quilter. She does phenomenal work, and I was lucky enough to be a recipient of one of her quilts this summer. It is adorable and sweet little Jaymeson loves it too...


Even I have been motivated to finish a quilt that my mother-in-law had made the top for. She worked crazy hard on the top while Jarett was on his mission so that she could get it all the way done when he got home, but then she worried that his wife (me) might not like the material she chose as a backing, so she left it for until he was married. I've known about this quilt since we got married (um, about 8 years ago) and we're FINALLY getting it done - I'm SO EXCITED!! This was a LOT of work (and isn't quite finished yet), but I have learned a lot and I'm SO excited for it to be done.

Very typical scene while quilting.
This quilt has already been used quite a few times and it's not even done yet....haha.

Well, I'll have to do more updates later, but those are a bunch of small events that we did through the summer. So many more that I could do. We'll see what ends up being on here. Can't wait to get caught up. It's fun to go back and see all that we did over the last 4 months. I can't believe we fit it all in...

6 comments:

LindsayB said...

seriously, i love the things my kids come up with for prayers. as if you didn't know ben cahoon was a big deal, come on, keep up with your football! haha,i only know because too many friday nights i have been stuck watching games. one of my good friends from high school plays for stampeders and he gets us tickets like yours and that is much better than the couch viewing. is that a jean quilt? i think i'm going to make a jean quilt, that apple material is darling, and it looks HUGE! also, derek's dad is roger.

Karen said...

Hi Ashley, I don't even know how I found your blog,(I think from Lindsay's) but I did and as I read back a few posts I saw you mention that your little girl has Mme. Henry for a teacher this year. She taught a few of my kiddos at Richard Secord which is the school she was at previous to yours. Can I just tell you that in my 16 years of elementary school she is THE BEST teacher we have ever come across. She will teach your little one so much and she'll have the best time in her class!! We were so sad that she left our school and can't say enough about how great she is... LUCKY YOU!! By the way just so that your not all confused... I am Karen Davidson ( we talked at Julie Fairbanks this summer) sorry for creepin' !! You have an adorable family!!

Alysha Sladek said...

love the quilts. and saryn cracks me up! ... big girl! hahahahha that's awesome

Marilee said...

Thanks for the reminder about Brad contacting your sister. I will call him right now......hold on.....really, I am calling him.........ah, no answer, but I reminded him so we will see what happens. Hey, are you guys coming down for Marella's wedding? A little late to be enquiring.

Marilee said...

update!!! He just called me back. He said he called her an hour ago and they are going out on Saturday. They are going to make food at his place with his roomate and his girlfriend and then play games!!! YEA!!

Alanna said...

Ashley, Saryn is hilarious; You understated Kaia's screaming with tooth pull (I remember going downstairs and expressing to Mom that I never want to be her labour coach...she was hysterical); I love your cake; I never thought about "quilters" and my current quilting hobby in same though sequence before...I suppose it is ironic. But I'm so glad you're getting into too...yours is fabulous...you'll have to keep it up...especially since you have GREAT access to fabric.