"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Uneventful Events

I apologize for the lack of blogging recently. I've been a little distracted and haven't been on the computer hardly at all. I had the opportunity to go to Calgary last weekend for Teacher's Convention and spend a lot of time with my Grandparents. I really want my kids to know what wonderful people they are, so I want to spend as much time with them as possible.

Kaia playing the violin for Grampa Jubber
He also plays the violin, so this was a special moment for her.

I also took this opportunity to ask them questions about their personal histories. I found out a lot of neat things. My Grandparents are from South Africa and as I was asking my Grandpa about all the places he's lived and all the significant events in his life, I learned that he was baptized at 8, but he wasn't allowed to receive the priesthood because he was South African. I didn't know that. Apparently, you had to trace your lineage out of South Africa before they would ordain you to the Priesthood. This was a rule that was not known to the leaders of the church, the local leaders were somehow lead to believe that this was necessary. So when David O. McKay came to South Africa, shortly after he was made President of the church, he changed the rule. That is when my Grandpa was finally able to be ordained to the Priesthood. I found that fascinating. I suppose it is reasons like this that the church has been globalized so much more.

On another note, Saryn has started doing two really cute things at bedtime. When I sing her a lullabye, she asks, "Will Jesus wake me up?". I'm not sure how to answer this.....or what she means, but it's sweet, so I'll take it.

I think what she is saying in prayers has finally hit her. When we pray and say, "I'm thankful for my family", she stops, opens her eyes, puts her hand in the air and says, "I have a family!!" Then we'll say, "We're thankful for this food" and she'll say, "I have food!!". I think she's finally figuring out that we're thanking Heavenly Father for blessings that we HAVE. It was a fun breakthrough. Or, it will be when she stops interrupting every prayer between every sentence.

Saryn doing a puppet show for me this morning (while in the puppet bin)

Oh, today I played with the girls for a while and then went on to cleaning. It was coming up on lunchtime and I hear Kaia run up and down the stairs. I went to go see what was going on and she had left me a note:

Mom i am hangry can we hav sam food ples
Kienna and Kaia

She totally sounded it out all by herself, I was SO proud. Not bad for a little girl in Kindergarten, eh?

Anyway, I said I have been a little distracted. We have been having a long week with making a big decision. Jarett has had the honour of being accepted to the University of Colorado Law School to get his JD. This would mean leaving in the fall and doing 2 years in Colorado. After this, he would have his MBA/LLB/JD (the LLB is a Canadian Law Degree and the JD is the US Law Degree). This would mean accruing more debt (approx. $80,000 USD) and putting off working for a year, along with relocating the family two more times. We are in the process of deciding if this degree would be worth the investment. I think it is mostly coming down to the decision between living in Canada and the States. If we don't get the JD, we will for sure be in Canada for the remainder of our lives. If we DO get the JD, we have the flexibility to go between the two countries all we want. This would also give us the opportunity to receive all of our US Citizenships in addition to our Canadian citizenships. It's hard to know what the Lord has in store for us, so this really has been a difficult decision. Anyway, we are still trying to figure out the outcome, but I will keep you all posted when that happens.

13 comments:

Hayley said...

Kaia is soo smart!I am impressed.

Hayley said...

Oh...and Grandpa is the cutest man on the planet! I wish I had been there this last weekend!

stone's eye view said...

Good luck with the decision making!!

Anonymous said...

Why is your Grandma holding Jarett??
Kaia looks like she has excellent form on the violin! Make sure to save Kaia's note. I'm sure you will have more of them to add through the years.
What a nice hug from Kienna for Great-Grandpa!
One of the puppets in that bin is really big and smiley!
Lucky family! Where on Earth did you get all those gorgeous puppets?

April said...

What a sweet post! I loved the stories-- good luck with your decision!

Andrea said...

It's such a blessing to be able to ask our grandparents about their past!! I'm glad you were able to do that! Good luck with all you new decisions to be made!

Alysha Sladek said...

great post. good luck with your decision.

Anonymous said...

i say do get his JD

Becky said...

Love the note! Those are some of my favorite things to save of the girls!
Keep talking to those Grandparents of yours. That is so interesting about your Grandpa and the Priesthood.
Oh, these big decisions. The hubby just started graduate school (he will be a great Chiropractor) and I am already nervous about where we want to settle down. We just don't know, either. And we have another 3 1/2 years to figure it out. It sounds like you guys are doing it the right way. Keep praying and fasting and listening to the Spirit. Either way you go, your family will be great! Hang in there!

Heather said...

Very cute Saryn! And I'm so impressed with Kaia's spelling and handwriting. My they grow fast! Good luck with your decision. That is such a biggie. Colorado would open up so many more opportunities, but the debt and the move are daunting! You'll have to let us know how it goes.

Alanna said...

What a cute little note and what cute little prayer comments! Oh, and I love that Kaia played the violin for Grandpa... ummm, in fact this should have been announced to the whole family in advance so that we could have made arrangements to be there if we decided to make the effort. Yes.

Marilee said...

Good luck with the decision. That seems like a hard one. Hope you come to the decision soon so you can make your plans and move ahead.

Kimberly Anne said...

That's so cute to see Kaia playing the Violin and I'm so impressed with her note! Also,Saryn's little story is very cute. And I love that picture of Kienna hugging Grandpa. :)