"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Sept 8

Sept 8th is my Mom's Birthday!  This post, however, doesn't include her much as she went on vacation.  Our day, however, had a few funny moments that I thought I'd share.

Our day started with a Optometry appointment for the whole family.  This started a little later than school, so I let the kids sleep in while I treated myself to a morning shower.  I may have taken a little longer than anticipated, so we were running a little bit behind.  I was anxious to still leave on time, so I was encouraging the kids to get ready as quickly as possible.  It was at this time that I stumbled across Jaymeson carefully counting his pennies from his piggy bank.  (He may have just lost his tooth and received a toonie from the tooth fairy

"Jaymeson, we're in a hurry, we don't have time to count your money!"
"No Mom, I'm getting my tithing ready!"  (He may have also just had a lesson on tithing in primary)
"Jaymeson, that's a good thing to do, but you can't pay it until Sunday, so you really don't need to get it ready today.  Especially when we're in such a hurry!"
Jay then went into his room and put his piggy bank back on the shelf.  He turned around to me with and told me determination  - and a slight crack in his voice, "Mom, God commands us to do this!"

We went to the optometrist and, because Mother Nature was feeling very cruel, we fought our way through the snow crazed traffic and got there just a couple minutes late.  The optometrist himself only just beat us there.  They worked with the kids and ushered them through one by one.  Benson, however, was first.  This was his second ever eye exam, but he clearly didn't remember his first because he was a little nervous.  He wouldn't go into the room without holding my hand, and reluctantly climbed on the chair.  Dr Rick Nielson was "outstanding" though (as he always is).  He used "magic" to raise and lower the chair depending on where the spoon touched Benson.  The nose made the chair go up, the ear made the chair go down etc.  After the eye exam was over, Benson didn't want to get out.  He looked at me approvingly, pointed at Dr Nielson and said, "Mom, I like this guy!"  He may have got an extra ride or two on the magic chair after that comment.

As I mentioned, it snowed.  September 8th and it snowed.  Why do we live in this place??  As my Aunty Sherri said, "Repeat after me.....universal health care, strong economy, no cockroaches...... Repeat as needed until you feel better!"  These pictures don't even capture the full extent of it.  Supposedly, it'll clear up and be 20 degrees by the weekend.


After the kids were all dropped off at school, I went home, cleaned up a little and tried to get dinner started.  They came home, Kienna got ready for cello, I picked up Kaia (who got out 10 minutes later than I had anticipated), came home grabbed, Kienna, headed to the bank to get the payment, realized I had forgotten my purse about half way there, turned around, had Kaia run my purse to the end of the street so I could grab it from her easier, went back to the bank, got the money, fought traffic up to Mount Royal, got there and had a stellar planning lesson.  This year is going to be great!  We love Morag!

After Kienna's lesson, we came home to crazy heavy snow and a dinner partially made.  We threw it together, had Kim and Nathan join us for scriptures post-dinner and then put the boys to bed - but not until after Jaymeson had practiced the piano.  The girls stayed up just to practice their instruments (violin, cello and piano respectively) and went to bed.

Just another day in Paradise!

1 comment:

Alanna said...

I first have to say that I love Aunty Sherri! ...repeat as needed... ha ha ha! So true! I on the other hand need to repeat to myself "Snow of September 8th" over and over so that I don't feel bad that I'm NOT there.

And now Jaymeson and tithing! Oh my goodness. He reminds me of one of his aunties in her younger years... a little on the overly serious side, but with the best of intentions. So cute! I really loved that story, as well as the Dr. Neilson one (that you already told me). he he!