"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What happens in the morning???

So, I'm usually up and at it by at LEAST 7:30 in the morning... and without fail, I haven't even had breakfast by 10:30 - usually 11.  I just don't get it.  What takes me so long to get downstairs and eating??  So, this morning, I took a mental note to write down what on earth happens to me.  Apparently the first few hours of my day look something like this:

Get up and set mental "to do" list in your head

Go to the washroom and clean up for the day (weigh myself and sigh - "I'm going to do better today")

Clean bathroom of anything that Jarett left out after getting ready for work

Get dressed, make bed, clean up anything that happens to be out in my room (including sorting any laundry that was folded previous night for kids to put away).

By now, my boys have come in and un-made some of the bed, un-folded some of the laundry and made a mess of the bathroom.  (so, I re-fold, re-make and re-sort)

Today, Benson also had a bad diaper and was immediately changed and put in the bath.  Jaymeson joined.

By this point, it was around 8:30 - first hour gone.

8:30 is the time I have appointed to wake up the girls if they haven't gotten up yet... so I go and wake them up.

Somehow a hurricane has come through their room since the night before Jarett put them to bed instead of me.  So, I ask them to please clean up their room.

Meanwhile, I go back into the bathroom and the boys have dumped all the soap into the bathtub.  So, I shower them off and do a once over of them.  Dry them off, put vaseline on to keep them from drying up and get them dressed for the day.  I make the boys beds, tidy up all new messes in their room, put their pajamas in the laundry and look into the girls room.  No girls.  No difference in the room, except for made beds.

Hearing "kitchen noises" from downstairs.  Um, "GIRLS!!!  Did you clean the room??"  "Yes" "Okay, could you come and try again??"  "But we're eating breakfast!"  Sigh.  "Okay, just come as soon as you can."

Go back to the kids bathroom and tidy up/mop up the floor from bath.  Wipe down counters and sink and make sure the bathroom gets all the way clean since there's already so much water involved.  Gather laundry and get all other things gathered that need to go downstairs.

Girls start filing back up (after a few more "gentle" reminders) and work on their room again.  I help coach them through it.  (Have several silly arguments about who's pair of pants magically jumped out of the drawer, because no one has EVER taken out their own pair - but it's sitting in the middle of the floor...)

By this point, it's around 9:30 or so - another hour is gone.

I head downstairs after the girls and usher them to their school work.  I go and sort my new 2 loads of laundry and start one.

Walk over to the kitchen and begin to cry (well, at least want to).  Breakfast exploded (one day I'll learn to not let them eat before the room is clean).  Begin the clean up of the kitchen.  Tempted to get the girls to come and help, but they're actually doing school work now, so I let it slide.

Boys begin to fight over toy.  Solve problem.

Girls have questions in math.  Solve problems.

Keep cleaning.  Find kitchen. 

Return to school room and answer more questions.  Realize that you're a little short and wonder why.  Oh yeah, I haven't had breakfast.  Rotate laundry on the way back to the kitchen.

While walking back to the kitchen see the mess of car trax that the boys have pulled out.  Help them sort that out so they can have a better track.  Get frustrated with the mess faster than normal...  Look back at the kitchen and see that the floor is still a disaster.  Go back to grab the broom... then remember that none of that mess happened because I had breakfast... and think, I'm not going to be happy if I don't just eat something and finish after.

Now we're at around 10:30 - 11 am.

Of course, now that I'm actually getting to breakfast, this is when the boys come over and ask for something to eat because they're so hungry.  Sigh.  Oh yeah, you didn't just have breakfast.  It's been a couple hours.  "Okay, just let me finish cleaning up the floor and then I'll start lunch."  Sigh.

This is the point where I get a call from my sweet Mother-in-law who (very sarcastically) says, "Oh good, you're up and at it!  Didn't want to wake you."  Fortunately, she also had five kids and knows exactly how much of a dream that would be.

4 comments:

stone's eye view said...

Sounds like a fun routine every morning! Maybe you should hide some snacks upstairs for yourself?

Alysha Sladek said...

I vote to leave all the cleaning til AFTER you eat. It'll get done eventually, but you NEED TO EAT! I'm a BEAR if I don't!

Anonymous said...

I vote not to clean. It'll just get dirty/messy again.
Just kick a path until Friday and then rake it out.
It works.

Alanna said...

I love your Mother in Law! Ha ha! SOOOO much of this reminds me of my life. I'm glad I'm in good company.