"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Theory

Well, this year for theory was a HUGE struggle. I had two students doing their advanced rudiments (neither of which took it seriously until the last couple weeks). They would show up without their homework done, not understand the concepts and look at me like I was brilliant when I explained the exact same principle the same way and suddenly they would understand (until next week when they forgot what they had learned). I was worried sick about these two!

My other student was doing basic rudiments, and he really seemed to grasp it and worked hard, but he joined me only half way through the year and I was worried that we had skimmed too much or somehow missed some essential concept.

Well, today was judgment day! The results came in (drum roll please)! 95.5% and 96% are their grades for the Advanced Students and 96.5% for the Basic Rudiments.  First Class Honours with distinction!! I am beyond thrilled!! These are HARD exams and I am so proud of my students! Just wish that some of them could get more focused a little earlier in the semester... ahem. I honestly think I am FAR more anxious for my students exams than I ever was for my own.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I remember you cramming your exams. I guess our teachers probably stressed like you do now. Poor Mrs. Thomson!

Alanna said...

Congratulations Ash! Isn't it amazing how you grow up to be like the adults that were in your life as a kid. I could never understand why Mrs. Thomson cared so much about how we did. I thought, "It's my exam." I guess I didn't realize it was a reflection on her and her pride at stake too. Good job!

Hayley said...

Yes Alanna, I'm sure that Mrs. Thomson worried A LOT about you...Miss. 99.5% because you put a dot on a line...

You're amazing Ashley. I can't imagine haveing students take exams...it would destroy me!