"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Music Surrounds Me

Ever since I was young, I've loved music.  I inherited my Dad's passion for moving lyrics.  I got my moms ear for tuning and expression. I have sung in many chorus' ranging from Star Singers and the Sunshine Generation when I was little to the World Recognized Calgary Girls Choir.  I started at the piano when I was four and went down a long road of lessons, practices and exams.  I studied with brilliant teachers, Music Theory, History and Harmony and I've received Honours with Distinction on many of those exams.  I really started to love the performance of music when I started to accompany people (especially my husband)!  I fell in love with his voice the first time I heard it, and after a matter of days, I knew enough of him that I loved him too.  But the truth is, I first noticed his incredible singing voice.  It makes me beyond happy!  Through our dating life, we spent so much time (when we were in the same country) at the piano, singing duets and just goofing around with music (dancing, singing and playing on instruments).  But my biggest dream has always been to be a Mom.  ALWAYS.  But I wanted to be a Mom who passed on my love for music... and secretly, very secretly, I wanted to have my very own string quartet.  And guess what?  My dream has begun.

I swore I wouldn't push my kids upon any one instrument, but they would play an instrument of their choice.  Kaia started it - and once my dream began, I couldn't step back.  She wanted to play the violin!!  It was a slow start because we had to find the teacher that would work - and it was through multiple moves as well, but we're here and settled and she is doing fabulously!

Kienna came next and I showed her a selection of instruments.  Pianos, violins, violas, cellos, harps, trumpets, you name it.  We talked about each of them, and she chose the Cello!  I felt elated.  The Cello?  I'm half way to my quartet!  Kienna has been so excited about having the Cello.  It makes her different and it just looks so good on her!

Saryn always would take Kaia's fake violin (which she received from one of her teachers) and play with it for hours.  Since she was 2, Saryn has been determined to play the violin.  No questions asked.  She has picked it up and ran with it.  This year she has started, and (although she most DEFINITELY has her frustrated moments) she has progressed at a magnificent speed.  She has had her eye on the ball and she is NOT going to drop it.

Jaymeson, too, has watched his big sisters with their instruments and is SO excited to start one for himself.  He is still so torn because he wants to play the violin like Kaia and Saryn, but he also loves the guitar and the piano and essentially anything that makes music.  Today, his pick was the guitar.  I'm kinda secretly hoping to get him onto the viola, so I can have the quartet complete, but it will ultimately be his choice when he starts Kindergarten.



Now Benson (yes, he is only 14 months old) has immediately taken to the piano.  I have no idea how or why, but he calms down immediately if there's a couple piano keys to bang on.  He has learned to reach beyond his height and gently play on the piano keys.  He loves the sound that comes from it and loves to sit on my lap as I play too.  Now, same as the others, if he decides he wants to play something else, he's welcome to, but I have a strong feeling that he will be my little pianist.


So there it is.  My little musical family.  I am so happy with how it is going, and I can't wait for them to progress and get to the point where they can play the gorgeous string music that is out there.  Nothing moves me more than music.  Nothing gets my emotions stirring, my body moving or my brain thinking like music.  When my kids need to get moving we bust out a song about going faster.  When we need to be happy, we sing about being happy!  When we need to calm down, we sing a calming song.  When it's time for bed, we have a lullaby.  Everything in our house is done to music!  I am surrounded my music and I wouldn't change that for anything!


7 comments:

Amelia said...

THAT is so awesome!!! I want that! Is kindergarten a good time to start? I've heard 2nd grade or whenever they learn to read, which seems to be kindergarten these days! that would be so awesome. Know any violin teachers in Lethbridge?? I want to learn it too!

Alysha Sladek said...

That's so great!!! Ella's my little pianist. 1 out of 4 isnt bad right haha. Hopefully they all get into it more. I think if it was someone besides me teaching it'd go over better

Anyhow here's to hoping you get your quartet ;)

Hayley said...

Viola is the most random of them all. Good luck with that! I'm curious if orchestral string instruments will ever enter our house for kids. Troy says 'only after we have a sound proof room'. But I say 'no drum set until we have a sound proof room'. Looks like it will be a few years for either of us to get what we want...

Alanna said...

I really want you to get your quartet, but Jaymeson looks so good with a guitar... and chicks dig guitars! :D Ha ha! Good luck!

Kathy said...

You are an amazing mom, and you inspire me!!!

Brooklyn Marie Mullen said...

Thats zoo amazing ash! Just have Jay play both! Guitar and viola! Start with guitar and is shouldn't be a super hard transition to learn both!

Brittany said...

You are such an amazing Mother! It is fun to see your kids grow up and be more and more like you!