"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

It's a.....

SURPRISE!!  Yep, I haven't found out the baby's gender.  Me!  I don't know where this patience has come from, but I was able to get through a WHOLE ultrasound without finding out a gender.  Just in case I change my mind, I had the technician write the gender on a card in an envelope that I can open and see later.  I really hope to have the endurance not to.  I want to be able to experience at least ONE surprise!

Everything in the ultrasound looked wonderful.  It never ceases to amaze me how miraculous the formation of a baby is.  How all these cells know where to go and how to assemble properly absolutely blows my mind.  I still don't know how ANY baby is born, nevermind a healthy baby.  So far, I'm measuring right along where my dates show, except on the high end of the range (aka - another big baby).  The kidneys, liver, bladder, stomach, brain, heart, eyes and everything else seems in order and is measuring well.  The spine, legs, arms, hands and all the skeleton is perfectly formed and (surprise, surprise) our baby seems to have a really long back!  It is such a special thing to see this beautiful baby inside of you and realize that you are really doing something while you're feeling sick and tired.  It never stops being an incredible experience.

PS - I'm too cheap to spend $20 on a really blurry picture of my ultrasound.  Just trust me that it was super cute and I'll be sure to put that money towards getting really good pictures as soon as this baby is born!!

9 comments:

Hayley said...

They charge $20 seriously? That is nuts! But I'm glad you got to see! It's a girl so don't even bother checking the card. I just know...

Beryl Shoekel said...

Well Ash, I bet it is hard to know you could find out and choose to wait for now. It makes me curious also to find out what it will be but I can see that it would also be exciting to wait and find out when it arrives.
I am so happy to hear that all is well.

Alanna said...

Still hoping you'll change your mind ASAP... though I must say your patience amazes me! I'm so glad that for my Canadian baby, I had the ultrasound in the States so my pictures weren't an extra charge! boyoh boy!

Nikki (and Crew!) said...

That stinks that they charge you! Ours even gives us a DVD of the whole big ultrasound.
I like your choice! Stick to it!!

Alysha Sladek said...

good for you!! it's so much fun!

Lander Mary said...

So how exciting i love babys, babys are awesome!

Lander

Jordana said...

A surprise will be so much fun! But keeping the envelope with the gender written inside is just pure torture, I say throw it away!!

stone's eye view said...

Burn the card!

Kim Hughes said...

Congrats Ashley!! I guess I hadn't checked your blog in a few weeks....I had no idea you were pregnant again. That is soooo exciting. Hope you are feeling well and I'm proud of you for being strong and not finding out. Now that we will have both genders, I might try to have a "surprise". Let me know if you like it better.