"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Monday, June 21, 2010

To know, or not to know....

THAT is the question.  I have always said that I want to be prepared for a baby when it comes.  Therefore, I have always found out the gender.  I NOW have boy AND girl clothes and bedding and everything.  I have no more excuse and I am discovering that it really could just be that I want to know.  I really am curious as to the difference to the experience when you know what you are having vs. not.  I am having a really hard time deciding whether it is more fun to prepare and be able to plan names and have an assigned gender in your mind or to wait and have a big climactic surprise at the end.  Thoughts?  Comments?  Experiences?  I need feedback.  I only have 1 week until the Ultrasound...

8 comments:

Amy said...

I think you should experience the SURPRISE this time!! Like you said, you are already prepared for boy or girl. ;)

Alanna said...

Ummm... how can I say this nicely. I love you, but I don't really care what YOU want. I, Alanna want to know what you're having NOW... so you should find out. There you go... my totally honest answer.

But, I really have been counting down to June 28th, not the end of November. Did you hear that, "THE END OF NOVEMBER!" Do you know how far away that is? And you have to be uncomfortable that whole time. That big surprise in the middle is like the joyous rest stop on a long journey. You need to get out have a frosty and do some shopping so that you can make it. But this is the only stop along the way. TAKE IT!

But whatever you want is fine with me... of course. (see my cheesy fake smile). j/k

Brittany said...

Make it a surprise!

Alysha Sladek said...

I vote for a surprise. It's fun!

Kimberly Anne said...

I want to know.... What about OTHERS who want to buy you fun little thing for the new arrival?! ;) It's hard to find unisex things sometimes. Just something to consider... I really want to know!! haha I'm excited!!

Brittany said...

Can't you buy things for the arrival after the arrival?

Fiona said...

I said before that you should be surprised. But, I must say I do love having a name in advance and all the kids talking to the baby by name in my tummy. The bonding starts far in advance of the birth and I have never had any jealousy issues. So, I've changed my mind, find out in advance and that way all the kids can really feel part of it.

Jonathon and Zack used to sleep with one of two twin dolls we had before the twins were born. it was so cute.

Kiera used to draw pictures for "Baby Lily" as she's called for her room. It was like she was here with us for a long time before she was born. It was really precious.

Both options have lots of pros and cons!

Marilee said...

I have never known what I was going to have and it was fine. I would think that to know would make things so anti climatic, but then maybe it isn't like that at all. I say, go for the surprise! My niece is having her fourth and last and she has decided to not know this last time. Start a trend!