"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Yesterday...

This past weekend, my Grandpa passed away.  My mind has been swimming through so many memories, it's been a very tender experience.  I went to Lethbridge on Monday and joined the rest of my extended family in preparing for the funeral, having family togetherness and remembering Grandpa.  I loved every minute of it.  There really is nothing like being surrounded by family!

Yesterday was Grandpa's funeral.  What a great man.  I somehow escaped without a program, without taking one picture and without the obituary, so I hope to add those at a later date.  I loved the speakers, having my family surround me, having a good cry, singing with my cousins, hearing Jarett sing with my cousins and having the tender moment as Jarett sang "Always" by Irving Berlin and my Gran led the family out with my Grandpa.  "Always" was sung impromptu at their wedding reception over 63 years ago.  It has been sung at my moms wedding, and at mine and my sisters as well.  I made the mistake of looking at my Gran as Jarett started to sing.  She had kept her cool up until then, but then the tears flooded and we all remembered their love story.  It was such a neat experience.

I had to miss the dedication of the grave due to a few complications.  But it's in a great spot and I'm excited to be able to visit it in the upcoming years.

Yesterday, was also exciting because Benson stood up on his own for the first time - AND then proceeded to take a few steps.  He is absolutely determined and could very likely be walking in just a few days.

The one thing  I would change about yesterday is - well, most likely my most embarrassing moment.  After singing with my cousins, we were returning to our seats when I missed a step, but my heel snagged it and I sprained my ankle (not to mention fell to the floor in front of the entire congregation).  That was NOT a favorite moment.  Everything else was absolutely perfect.  *Applicable quote, however,
"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused!"

What a beautiful day, what a beautiful legacy for a beautiful man!  I love you Grandpa!  We'll see you on the other side!

With Kienna

(I'll add more pictures when I find them)

Copied from Alanna's blog:  (Me = Alanna)

Henry Melvin Jubber
March 7, 1923 - Feb 3, 2012

On his Wedding Day July 31st, 1948 looking so handsome!
A few years ago, while looking at an old picture of my Gran (maybe this one), a sister of mine remarked, "Wow, Gran was so beautiful."  Grandpa was sitting close by and just said, "She still is!"

With my mom, Aunty Beryl and me as a baby
With Gran and Ashley in his Canoe on Echo Lake
 I remember him often going out in the canoe at the Lake in the mornings

With my dad and me 
A couple years later, Grandpa confirmed me a member of the church after my dad baptized me
Gran & Grandpa's 40th Wedding Anniversary
 One of my earliest real memories of Grandpa... or anything really

Being the donkey with socks on his ears
 Like he was every Christmas Eve
Telling us stories
Grandpa was so funny.  I distinctly remember him telling this long joke about some large animal being in a bathtub and punch line was "I know.  I know.  I know."  I (and everyone else there) laughed until our sides ached.  But then I went to school and told the same joke and didn't even get so much as a chuckle.  He just had a great way of telling a story.
Playing the Piano. Grandpa played the hymns beautifully and distinctly... improvising ascending chords in the lower hand.  He also played the violin.
One Christmas, he sang new lyrics he'd written to "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"--
I heard Louise on Christmas Day... Her old familiar udders sway (Louise was the milk cow)
It ended with "No peace on earth for Melvin."
With all his grandchildren on his 50th Wedding Anniversary
He called his grandkids his "Kid's Kids"--which made the pun "Kids is Kids"
 He said "Kid's Kids" often when we were around
Ashley adding:  It also became a "Kids will be kids" type expression after a few years.
Looking at the family scrapbook Ashley & I made for the 50th Anniversary occasion

Just a few years ago after Christmas, I was collecting everyone's fancy Christmas tags for scrapbooking purposes and was touched by the simple message of love I found on this one:

Grandpa loved Gran, but didn't love shopping as much as Gran did.
Once my sister Hayley joined him on a bench at the mall where he was once again... waiting.  She asked, "Grandpa, how much of your life have you spent sitting at the mall?"
He replied, "None of it.  When I sit here, I'm not living!"


Helping Gran to decorate my wedding cake
Listening at my wedding
We had Irving Berlin's "Always" sung... just as it was at his wedding
With Jarom at 2 weeks
and at his blessing.
 At a family reunion celebrating his 80th Birthday
We went to Waterton where he hiked to the top of Bear's hump--a demanding hike for an 80 year old.
Then we went to Echo Lake where he went tubing behind the boat.
Grandpa would always give a salute to greet you.
And when you said "Grandpa", he would say "nnn-yyyyeeeess" or "um-hmmmmm" with this upwards inflection at the end.
Grandpa was a very positive man.  When his house burnt to the ground in 1994, rumor has it he was heard saying, "Well, I'll have the fastest growing grass around."
With some of his great grandchildren or his kid's kid's kids at the Alberta Temple
He served faithfully at the temple often doing several sessions in a row.
My cousin Paul joked that when Grandpa asked him to go to the temple with him, he had a hard time explaining, "I'm just a one session kind of guy."
 With Jarom

And with Travis
Posterity was a big deal to him.  He loved seeing his family grow.
60th Wedding Anniversary
After the grand kids sang a song about our memories,
Grandpa stood and said "Today I'm the richest man in the world!"
A moment I'll never forget.
I realized what the rewards are for selfless service to your family.
Holding Carson the day before his blessing
He stood in that circle on one of his last trips to Calgary.
With my boys on a trip to Lethbridge in February 2010
With Carson in Spring 2010

5 comments:

Alanna said...

Oh Ash! I totally would have looked at Gran during "Always" too. Thanks for sharing her reaction. I love how you say "We'll see you on the other side."

Amelia said...

What a good good man. I was wondering if it was your grandpa that passed away when I heard Justin's grandpa died. Sounds like it was a great celebration of his life.

Alysha Sladek said...

so sorry for your family's loss. sounds like a great man and I love all the pictures you have of him. that's so wonderful.

stone's eye view said...

Loved reading all the memories about him. What a great man!

Janelle Locking said...

I WOULD JUST LIKE YOU TO KNOW! I CRIED READING THIS!