"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Monday, October 3, 2011

Well, well, well...

So, as you may/may not have heard.  I have started homeschooling.  I LOVE it!  I've even got past the apologetic way that I used to say it.  It's just FABULOUS!  I don't know why I haven't done it before now - what was I scared of?  It's liberating to be able to set my own schedule, take time with my kids and have my OWN priorities of what my kids should be learning.  I follow most of the school curriculum in Alberta, but we're studying the history of the world for Social Studies and picking our own science experiments and research to do.  I can't believe how many wonderful resources there are out there for home schooling moms and there's so much funding available too!

Now, truth be told, there are frustrating moments, but overall, things keep getting better and better and both the kids and I are happier and less stressed out with the schedule that we've made for ourselves.  I LOVE not having a schedule in the morning to RACE off to the bus stop.  I LOVE not having to pack lunches while pushing my kids like crazy to get going.  I truly hated that I only saw them for about an hour at night over the dinner table.  The rest of the time was too full of practicing instruments, doing homework and racing off to lessons... then rushing them to bed so they can wake up ridiculously early to start it all over again.

I have been CRAZY busy, but it's the kind of busy that I LOVE.  To be busy, surrounded by those you love is the best satisfaction that you can possibly have.  PLUS, I get to be a better, happier Mom - and I get to learn right along with them.  It's just a win/win.  Anyway, better get back to it!  I hope to one day have time to fill in all the fun times we had this summer on the blog... but maybe that'll have to wait.  I have some Triceratops to read about!!

5 comments:

Brooklyn Marie Mullen said...

I'm glad that you are loving homeschooling! (you should add benson to your blog list of people though :P haha)

Nikki (and Crew!) said...

See? Super mom.

Kamry Low said...

I'm so impressed that you do homeschooling. I feel like mhy kids were turn dumb if i did that. You do what is best for your kids and sounds like they are doing awesome. can't wait to hear more about it!

Marilee said...

You rock Ashley. You do it all and you love it!!! Your kids are lucky to have you as a mom.

Alanna said...

Ashley! I really am so impressed that you're doing homeschooling. I'm even more impressed that you're loving it! It's inspirational to me... really! It's been on my mind a lot recently... how I wonder if I could actually be as crazy brave as you... or if I even want to. But nonetheless... you're amazing!