"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Thursday, May 19, 2011

We're Seeing Spots

Well, last night was frustrating.  The kids wouldn't go to bed.  They were being silly, Benson and Jaymeson took turns waking us up through the night and we both woke up tired.  I was looking forward to a day at home to just get ahead and maybe sneak in a nap.  I didn't even have to make dinner because we're going to a friends house tonight.  It was going to be nice and easy and low key... until I saw perfect circles of bluey-green on Saryn's leg.  Weird.  It seriously looked like she had taken a bingo dobber to herself - but as we have no bingo dobbers... this was just strange.


The classic questions immediately come into play.  Where did THAT come from?  Was there anything changed from normal?  Is it itchy?  Is it painful?  Has she been sick?  Does she have a fever?  Are the dots raised?  The answer?  No.  No to them all.  Not a clue where it came from.  I called my mom, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law, my sister... no one had any clue.  Just one common consensus was that it was really weird.  Did some research online and couldn't find ANYTHING that looked even vaguely close.  Changed my status on facebook to see if anyone knew of such a thing... and headed off to the walk-in clinic.

We got there and the nurse was stumped... soon followed first doctor (ironically enough a girl I went to Elementary and High School with) had NEVER seen anything like that.  As she's only been practicing for a couple years, she asked for my patience while she went and did some research and asked another doctor for their opinion.  The second doctor came in - he had never seen anything like it either.  He asked if he could take pictures so further analyze.  First doctor called the Pediatric Dermatologist.  She had no clue what it would be, but had an opening at 1:30 if I'd like it.  GREAT!  We pack up, visit, Granni on the way - she thinks it's absolutely bizarre... so does her co-worker.  Then to visit Gran, Grampa and Daddy while getting a quick lunch on the way (they also agree that is was very strange, indeed).  Daddy tested to see if you could scratch it off or anything... but alas, it was stuck on and deeper down.

The dermatologist was very nice.  I got to haul all 3 kids up and down the stairs multiple times due to bathroom breaks etc.  Finally she came in - and decided that they're completely strange.  She described the whole thing as very "puzzling" (also put herself into my bad books by commenting on my 5 kids with one on the way).  She decided that she wouldn't do a biopsy, but wait to see if they get worse or if Saryn starts to get sick.  At this point the only kind of sickness Saryn was showing was a great sickness of being hauled from one doctor to another.  She recommended some blood work in case there was some kind of bleeding disorder.  Called back to the other doctor and discussed the oddness of the bluish-green dots.

We then leave and head down to Sundance to get the blood work done.  I go to my moms to call my family physician first to see if she had any insights as to our family history and this strange phenomena.  She'll be willing to see me on the 31st... ugh.  I also called my Uncle Vernon to see if he knew had an insights... but he wasn't home.  I decide (as all three of my kids now look like this)  to postpone the blood work and just do it tomorrow if they haven't cleared up




I then get a brainstorm of what it could be... but I decide to make it home to see if I might be right.  I pick up Kaia and Kienna from school and run my theory by them... they agree it's quite possible.  I get home and run upstairs (camera in hand) to confirm and sure enough.... there it is!


I bring it downstairs to see if this could POSSIBLY be as ridiculous at it was turning out... I measure it against Saryn's leg and it's a perfect fit.


Apparently Kaia and Kienna had been playing with money when they were supposed to be going to sleep last night and missed a penny while they were packing it all up... sigh.  Copper.... why didn't I think of that 12 hours ago before I wasted all that gas and time?  I guess it goes to show that money really does make the world go around (and it can drive you crazy).

PS - Way to go Lynsey, if I had just checked facebook before I went crazy I could've saved a lot of time.

14 comments:

Alysha Sladek said...

hahahha oh I'm so sorry. THat's the WORST!! BUT I'm glad it was nothing. When Austin was little nad had broke his leg, he stuck a penny down his cast. YUCK! Thankfully it had only been there about a day. Crazy how she reacted to that! And are you announcing something or was the Dr. rude and just think you had one on the way? I'm confused!!

Lynsey said...

Never fails my friend. I'm smarter than I look AND the simplest answer is usually the right one !

Delcia said...

What a mess one little penny can make!! Sooo crazy!!!! I'd say its a waste of a day but its a great story and you will probably remember it years longer than you would ever remember whatever else you might have wanted to spend the day doing!

Ashley said...

What a funny story! Well I guess it's funnier now that you know what it was!!

Dustin said...

Ha Ha Ha! That's hilarious... except that your nice day got taken away (although I agree with Mom's point about making a memory). To think you were at a doctor's talking about biopsies when it was just kids playing with copper.
I'm pretty sure if circles like that showed up on one of my kids I'd assume a brother had been pushing into them with the end of a cylindrical block or something just hard enough to start a bruise.
Lynsey actually guessed it? Wow.

Becky said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!! This is an amazing post! Poor girls! And mom! Glad she is ok, though.

Christie Cook Wall said...

LOL!!! Great story!!

Allison McMurray Stringham said...

Haha that's funny- for those of us who didn't have to drag our kids all over the city to doctors all day. At least you've solved the mystery!

Cindy Sefcik-Anderton said...

Did you say that you have 5 kids with one on the way? Are you pregnant??

Ashley Dawn said...

No, that's just what the lovely dermatologist decided.

Cindy Sefcik-Anderton said...

That's so nice of her. Sounds like a gem.

Lizzy Anne said...

thats intense! And kinda funny if it isn't happening to your child!

Rachel Sharp Jensen said...

thats so funny. Sorry that you had to go see so many doctors before you figured it out.

tracey said...

This is an awesome story!! I LOVE how all the Drs were stumped!!