"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Kaia's Baptism

I feel so bad that it has taken me this long to post this.  I suppose my life has been such a whirlwind that I haven't had a chance to put all that I felt into a post if I only do it in fragments.

Kaia's baptism (due to many scheduling conflicts - including mom being stranded in Vegas) was delayed a little bit, but we found it very worth it due to the loving support from all those who came.  She was baptized April 16th and it was a beautiful event.  She was baptized along with 2 other kids in her class, and 2 others in the stake.  Jarett was able to baptize and confirm her and both of them looked so happy through the whole thing.  The spirit was so strong and I had a strong reminder of how much this church means to me.

Kaia woke up in the morning and wrote on a piece of paper (adding more in the evening):
"I woke up this mornig Feeling very happy.  I wondered why.  Than I remembered that it was my Baptisam!  I am exited Because the Spirit told me that what I was doing was right.  I felt Warm on the inside.  When I went in the water I was shivering on the outside.  When I got the gift of the Holy Ghost I was warm on the inside and outside!  Afterwords I got 2 bucais (bouquets) for geting baptised.  I am glad for the choice I made.  I hope you get baptised too."
It was such a neat thing to see how excited she was and how she was glowing.

After, we had all our family and close friends who traveled from afar join us for a little buffet and ice cream sundaes.  We had over 40 people in our house.... but it was wonderful to have so many loved ones near by.  I'm so proud of my little Kaia.  She's growing up to be such a beautiful girl. 
Big shout out to the Anderson Family who drove to and from Edmonton in one day through a snowstorm to spend this special day with us!
Aunty Brookie came all the way from Rexburg

I thought that it would be appropriate to write my 8 favorite things about her (as she is eight now).  It might be hard to stick to the top 8 though, but I'll try.

1.  Kaia is ALWAYS trying to make others feel better if they are sad, hurt or lonely.  She is VERY full of compassion.  She is always very concerned for anyone who is in a bad situation - even if it's on the other side of the world.
2. Kaia has the cutest freckles, the biggest smile (even though she tries to hide it), the sparkliest eyes, the longest hair and the longest back of any 8 year old I've ever met.
3. Kaia has an incredible inquisitive mind.  She's always asking questions that really make me think hard to answer.  I think she's going to surpass my knowledge sooner than later.
4. Kaia has a strong will.  Sometimes this gets a little frustrating, but when she's standing up for what is right, I couldn't be more proud of her.
5. Kaia is a great example to her sisters.  She is always trying to do what is right and is frustrated when other people aren't.
With Lexi Cooper and Riley Aneca in her Primary Class
6. Kaia reads extremely well.  Not only pronouncing things well in French and English, but she reads with expression - and with passion.  She LOVES books.
7. Kaia has a strong testimony.  She was blessed with an incredible relationship with her Savior as a baby, and it is clear to me that she has it.
8. Kaia is always trying to serve.  She comes and just rubs your feet, brings her sisters water, finds a comfort blanket or toy when someone gets hurt, wanting to raise money for orphanages in Thailand.... you name it.  She is ALWAYS trying to find a way to help others.  She asks about how we can help others every day.  Something she has heard of has made her sad and she needs to change it.

I'm so proud of my sweet Kaia.  What a wonderful helper she is to me.  I tell her frequently that I couldn't live without her - and it's VERY true.  I was so honored to be part of her special day.  I love you Kaia!

7 comments:

Brooklyn Marie Mullen said...

Such a beautiful day :) I'm soo glad I was there :)

stone's eye view said...

This was a great day. We are so happy Kaia is in the family!!!
Great family pic, btw.

Ashley said...

What a sweet post for Kaia! It looks like you all had a great day!

Brittany said...

This was a beautiful post Ashley! I am sad that I missed this. What a wonderful day! Kaia looks beautiful. You are going to have to watch out for all those boys in the coming years.

Alysha Sladek said...

aww that was great. I love that she wrote that down. Did you know i have ZERO pictures from Austin's baptism. So sad!

Becky said...

She is so darling and beautiful!!! Congratulations!!!!!!! Rachel's is coming in January and we are so excited about it! So grateful for the gospel in our lives!

Alanna said...

Oh,I'm so sad I couldn't be there. She's so lovely! Congratulations Kaia on the GREAT choice you made. I love you!