"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Talents

Okay, so every once in a while I have a lesson in Relief Society or Sunday School that REALLY hits home.  Today we had a phenomenal lesson on Developing Talents.  There were about 3 things that really hit me as we went through the lesson that I thought I'd share.

#1.  People tend to hide their talents because they feel like their talent isn't "as good as" someone elses.  For example she said, "How many here can paint?"  "How many here can dance?"  "How many people here can sing?"  As expected, a couple raised their hands per question, but that's it.  Then she said, "If I asked this question in Primary, how many people would raise their hands?  ALL of them, right?  Because I didn't ask, are you the 'BEST at painting?' or 'Do you get paid to sing/dance?'  I just asked if you CAN do it."  I find that we "grown-ups" really tend to put ourselves down because we know that someone can do something better...

#2. As the lesson continued, she had all of us go around the room and say a talent that they had.  Simple enough, right?  We had hemming and hawing and "Well, I guess...." kind of imput.  Why are we SO embarrassed to admit that we're good at something?  Even something as simple as, "I have a contagious smile" seems to be painful to say.  My thought was how different this would be if we had our husbands there to tell everyone what talents we had.  Or if we went through and had to name something that our husband was good at.  Or even how different it would be for the men to do this about themselves than for us women.  I verified this at home when I asked the kids and Jarett what they're good at and they all answered without a second thought.  Kienna even answered, "Well, LOTS of things!"

#3. The challenge we were left is to be able to just say, "Thank You" when someone gave us a compliment.  No excuses, not "Well if you only knew...."'s.  No, "Oh please...." Nothing.  Just a "Thank You" and be able to believe that you really DO have that talent.

So, I wanted all of you to know that I think this is INCREDIBLY valuable.  If we sincerely accepted compliments, can you imagine how much better our self-esteem would match our self-worth?  If we realized how many things we have been blessed with and recognized them as talents...  If we thought of our talents how kids think of theirs - without inhibition and believing that we can do anything, how different would our lives be?

So... here's the challenge.  Leave a comment with at LEAST one talent you have (Most of you should be able to leave at least 5 off the top of your head) and I will name some that I think you have in return.  Deal?  Be sure to check back for my response!

I suppose I should name my top 5 that I came up with to make it fair... so what are MY talents?
Not dancing.... but -
I play the piano, I can learn quickly (if I want to), I can feel what others are feeling, I have a decent hand writing, and I can take good pictures.

15 comments:

Alanna said...

Hmm... fun challenge. I really like these thoughts. So I realize that I'm stalling and not getting to writing my talents... cuz it IS difficult. You don't want to brag or worse risk sounding confident, when others might roll their eyes at that.
Okay here goes.

I think I talk to people in a way that puts them at ease.
I think I'm pretty good at managing laundry (anyone who laughs at this being a talent does not have four sons... it DOES take talent).
I have a decent singing voice.
I can write blog posts... others are better, but mine are good I think.
And I've decorated some cute birthday cakes.

Whew that IS hard. I so desperately want to write "but not really" after all of them.

Dustin said...

I'll be male, and not offer excuses after my talents.

1. I am good at understanding math
2. I am good at explaining math
3. I can remember things very well
4. I can focus on one thing
5. I plan ahead, and am very prepared.
6. I can create lists of talents for myself
7. I can fold some quite complex origami
8. I can do Friday New York Times crossword puzzles
9. I can read quickly
10. I can create a lot of havoc with several of the Mullen girls
11. I can text faster than Brooklyn
12. I am a loyal friend
13. I can speak portuguese, even after being home 10 years
14. I can cook meals that are a tad more than edible
15. I leave great recipes on the Mullen blog
16. I am good at scrabble
17. I am good at trivial puruit
18. I avoid being the center of attention
19. I can sing better than any of my brother-in-laws
20. I am at university level in piano

I could go on and on... Now let's see if Ashley gives me 20 talents in return!!!

Ashley Dawn said...

Alanna, you are also a spiritual leader to those around you. You have been able to work through your perfectionism and make incredible quilts. Your scrapbook pages (although not as common now) are a piece of art. You have an incredible testimony (this is a talent) and you are a fabulous Mom.

Ashley Dawn said...

Alright Dustin. Just to specify, I didn't say that I'd leave a talent for every one that you leave for me, I just said that I'd say a few. Regardless, I will strive to achieve the challenge you set out for me.

1. You can make anything into a game.
2. You'll always rise to a challenge.
3. Anything I can do, you can do better.
4. You make amazing slide shows.
5. You'll spend hours making games.
6. You are completely reliable.
7. You have incredible patience.
8. You are one of the best fathers I have ever seen.
9. You are good at running.
10. You are good at making treasure hunts.
11. You are very enthusiastic about singing.
12. No one can beat you at Boggle.
13. You know how to be tough (avoiding yogurt, cream cheese etc.)
14. You have a very subtle sense of humor that can have people in stitches.
15. You are the king of random quotes
16. You are devoted to your callings.
17. You make award winning Cub Cars.
18. You are constantly helping others.
19. You help make people understand things that are difficult (excellent tutor).
20. You are an excellent moral support to your wife and sisters-in-law.
21. You know how to adapt yourself from a household of boys to a household of girls!

Well, I did it, and then some! You're a pretty awesome guy, Dustin!

Brooklyn Marie Mullen said...

1. I am really good at doing hair
2. I am really good at making people look there best
3. I am a pretty stellar conductor
4. I play piano decently
5. I can fake cry at the drop of a hat
6. I am known for my flirting ability
7. I can get free stuff when i flutter my eyelashes
8. I can make anyone smile after a bad day
9. I am good at sharing
10. I am funny
11. I make divine mac and cheese
12. I can name any state if you say the capital
13. I have mastered spell check
14. I can bring people out of there shells (probably cause they know they will never look as stupid as i do)
15. I can text Twice as fast as dustin
16. I Can tan really easily
17. I am progressively getting better at walking up hills
18. I look really good when I lay in the park and have the wind blowing through my hair and read a book.
19. I write killer talks in under 20 minutes
20. I can last longer than ashley at staying single
21. I Can date celebraties like Ricky Martin ;)
22. I am pretty much all around straight up awesome.

and well the list goes on... but I have things to do people to see, and do like the good people in the parable and multiply and make It 44.

Ashley Dawn said...

Brooks - that was great (although I'm not sure that staying single longer than me, tanning and being 'straight up awesome' are necessarily "talents") I also note an overlap of talents #6,7 and 21.

Because you're not Dustin and don't have his talent of making a game of anything and challenging people left, right and center, I'll give you my favorite 5 talents that I feel you have missed.

You are a loyal friend. You don't fear learning new things (especially if your sisters haven't done it yet). You are able to show your talents without fear. You're emotional and have a great love for those around you. You're also great at babysitting, being an Aunt, being a sister and you'll be a phenomenal mom one day (with all the experience Alanna and I have been giving you).

Alanna said...

No one said anything about Brooklyn's great acting skill! She's so fun to watch on stage... and when Dustin in teasing her.

Brooklyn Marie Mullen said...

well shucks!! thanks guys :)

Marilee said...

This kind of looks like a family thing which I suppose puts me in, sort of. At least through marriage.

1. I can read and sing alto pretty good.
2. I am a fun person to be with.
3. I keep a tidy house.
4. I dance while I drive.
There I did it and it was hard.......Just give me one back Ashley and call it even.

I loved the thoughts from the lesson. I think I will have to have a FHE when all my kids are home this summer. Great idea.

missLaura said...

Saying thank you without excuses is incredibly hard. It really does make you feel good when you just accept a compliment because when you belittle your effort you end up believing it too!
My talent is determination. I can make it happen if I want to.
Great post! We had the same lesson but ours was kind of... dry? Thanks for your insight.

Ashley Dawn said...

Marilee - you're a great Mom. You can tell by the way your kids are around you. You are also someone who reaches out and makes people feel welcome (at least I feel that way at reunions etc.). And you're just awesome (although that seems to just be you - I don't know if it's a talent).

Laura - You are also an awesome athlete. You're also very thoughtful. You're a loyal friend and an enthusiastic Mom!

Nikki (and Crew!) said...

I also enjoyed our Talents lesson this Sunday, thanks for sharing your experience. I determined to post (10!) because this is something that's been on my mind a lot lately!

1. I can sing
2. I can make a decent meal out of any ingredients
3. I can read music
4. I have a mind for understanding languages and pronunciation
5. I speak French
6. I adapt to circumstances well
7. I can rise to the spotlight, be ok with the background
8. I can explain things in a way that most any person will understand
9. I am generally smart/able to understand
10. I can organize the crap out of an event!

Delcia said...

Dilemma: I want to comment on a very interesting blog and how much I have enjoyed the existing comments but I don't want to comment on my talents...apparently I need this lesson...maybe I'll reread the blog and comment again later!!

Ashley Dawn said...

Nikki - you make it tricky to write this because I really know very little about you except what we've learned via email over 10 years ago. BUT... there are a few things that stick out to me that you seem to have overlooked. #1. You are a great Mom. You LOVE your kids and you seem to be constantly trying to do great things for them. #2. You write killer funny emails - the length of which is possibly the longest I have ever experienced (containing nothing but nonsense at times). #3. You find good in people and you tell them.

Ashley Dawn said...

Mom - it's probably best you don't rise to the challenge, because I don't think I could list all of your talents here. It'd be WAY too long.