"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Do you Believe?

Perhaps it is because she just turned seven...
 
and seven really does seem to have a lot of questions associated with it.  I think it has to do with getting close to the magical EIGHT where everything starts having consequences....

but I'm pretty sure that it all started when Kaia passed me this note in Sacrament Meeting about a month ago...
 
"Mom, is it the tooth fairy or you that takes my tooth and gives me money.  Love, Kaia"

Thinking that honesty is the best policy, I talked to Kaia about the tooth fairy and how it's just a way that parents get to celebrate their child losing a tooth.  Of course, within the week she lost another tooth:
 
She began making requests for bigger and better gifts from the 'tooth fairy' and soon the tooth fairy decided that when someone doesn't believe, she doesn't come.  Regardless of my decision, this question has lead to other questions with similar answers.


It's all been discussed and I actually have been surprised at how little it has distressed me.  Kaia's always been really old for her age and this just seemed kind of a natural step.  I always thought it would be sad when I had a child who no longer believed, but I think she really understands the feelings behind it all and why we do it.  Plus, I've always felt that if a child asks you something directly, they're old enough to know the truth.  I want my kids to feel like they can ask me any question and get an honest answer.

The only thing that I have had a hard time with is that this train of thought has continued beyond fictional characters.  Just the other day in her prayers she said,  

"Please help me to believe in you more."

This phrase nearly broke my heart.  I know that it is good that she's at least asking, but it still makes me sad that there's even a question in her mind.  I talked to her and explained that the only way to be sure is to search it out.  Read the scriptures, listen in church and try to figure out if the spirit is letting her know that it's true.  Wait for happy feelings and see what makes sense.  I don't know what else to do, but I'm praying for a confirmation to come to Kaia.

Has anybody dealt with anything like this?  Does anyone have any ideas of how to help her understand what is reality and what is fiction?  I sure would love some input!

5 comments:

Mackenzie Richards said...

Thankfully I haven't had to deal with ANY of the questions yet, but I am guessing it will be sooner than I would like. I have very inquisitive girls and they are always asking questions period. I am dreading the Santa discussion:( But I think you are right - once they start asking, you need to answer honestly. But I think Kaia is at a good age for the confirmation about the gospel you are hoping for - nice and early but she will remember those feelings :)

Alanna said...

Kaia better not ENLIGHTEN Jarom yet. I think he has his doubts, but he was writing a sincere note to the tooth fairy this morning making suggestions about castle making with teeth.
I wouldn't worry about her faith because you're doing what you are supposed to be doing. You're teaching her... not just the principles, but how to know if they're true... and it works... so she'll know.

stone's eye view said...

We talk a lot about something similar to this - but with a boy twist.

Spiderman, for instance, is a character, just like Santa.

Jesus is not a character, but a real live person. Just like the prophet.

Levi gets the character thing and that it is for fun. He hasn't asked about Santa yet, though.

Beryl Shoekel said...

Ash,
I really agree with Alanna's comments, about Kaia wanting to believe, in her inquiring, honest little mind, she has asked a simple question that many people much older wonder and ask themselves. I feel that your reaction was perfect. Just you keep teaching her those correct principles and she will discover for herself the truth.
She is fortunate to have such a wonderful, dedicated mother.
Love,
Gran

Beryl Shoekel said...

Ash,
I really agree with Alanna's comments, about Kaia wanting to believe, in her inquiring, honest little mind, she has asked a simple question that many people much older wonder and ask themselves. I feel that your reaction was perfect. Just you keep teaching her those correct principles and she will discover for herself the truth.
She is fortunate to have such a wonderful, dedicated mother.
Love,
Gran