"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Christmas

Christmas was WONDERFUL!! All the kids from both Jarett and my families were able to come home for Christmas and it was SO awesome to be around everyone. As always, it was just a constant frustration to decide which family to hang out with. I found that this decision became somewhat easier to make when I had to stay home with throwing up kids or when I could just take off because Jarett was feeling nauseous. Somehow those nights, decisions were just made for me... Anyway, we have a very traditional Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It went something like this:

3-3:30: Mullen House Talent Show

We had a few special musical numbers this year (as always). Travis sang the ABC's completely impromptu throwing in a few Christmas references. We were all impressed. All the kids sang the snowman song (how else do you expect 2 year olds to sit through a program). Kaia and Hayley sang a Christmas traditional, "The Gentle Donkey" from the Carol Cantata. Hayley sang this in Sacrament Meeting when she was about 6 and Kaia has learned it as well, so they sing this as a duet now.


Alanna and I played the famous Nutcracker Piano Duet (not something that should be a tradition, but it's just fun to see how much worse it gets every year). Hayley and I played the Joy to the World piano duet (something that will have to become more of a tradition). Jarett attempted O Holy Night. Usually his attempt is phenomenal, but this year he was beginning to feel the sickness come on and somewhat failed in the attempt. The family backed him up and it turned out to be a wonderful time. We all sang a few tunes together and then headed over to.....

3:30-4:15: The Nativity Reinactment (yes, it takes this long)

I'm sure you can all imagine 7 kids 6 and under huddled around trying to get ready to act out The Nativity with all their aunts with the excitement of Christmas Eve. It just takes a while. Always wonderful. We had Joseph and Mary aka Jarom and Kaia.


We had the donkey aka Jarett in his true form (this used to be the role of my Grandpa Jubber)

We had Mary #2 aka Saryn with her Teddy Bear/Baby Jesus

We had the shepherds aka Alanna, Dustin and Jack

We had the angels aka Brooklyn and Kienna


We had the Wisemen (who usually are better dressed, but the costumes had been borrowed for Moroni's Quest and not yet returned) aka Hayley, Brittany and Travis

We had the Narrator aka Dad

and we had a new addition this year: the MANGER....because Kimmy just really wanted to hold Jaymeson (who was playing Baby Jesus)

THE WHOLE CAST:


4:15-5: Grandkids Pajama Opening





and the Mens "Surprise Package"
5:30-7: Off to the Cahoons for a Marvelous Christmas Dinner with the world's best Homemade Apple Pie a la Mary. Unfortunately, my camera died before I headed over there and I haven't been able to get any from my sisters-in-law.

7-7:30: Another Nativity reinactment which was even more of a gong show seeing as there are 13 grandkids over there 11 and under.....plus we had to include the new puppy as an angel (please don't ask).

7:30 - Bedtime!! Santa doesn't come until we're all asleep.

8:00 - Back to Mullens for "present" opening (always a huge surprise of Pajamas)
There are a ton of pictures for this....but they'll be coming in another post.

9:30-10 set up stockings for our stocking exchange as well as putting out the kids stockings (so santa can find them).

10:30 -11 - Bedtime for the adults!! Whew!!


Christmas Day!!

7ish - Wake up call!! SANTA CAME!! Rush over to Mullens to see what he brought....

9ish - Open Presents and eat Mom's famous nd very traditional Sausage Egg Fondue

11 - 2:30 - Over to Cahoons for present opening and Christmas Pictures (always attractive)

2:30 - 9: Mulling with the Mullens and preparing/eating another AMAZING Christmas Dinner.

We had the adults at the main table.....

The Older children at the coffee table set up for 4.......

And the two year olds at a small play table (with a drop cloth underneath it).....


I just LOVE Christmas. It is SUCH a special time to be with family and to remember the "most wonderful time of the year". I think of how lucky I am to have such a wonderful family to be with and for the gift that was given to us over 2000 years ago - our Saviour, Jesus Christ. What a wonderful time to reflect on the gift that Heavenly Father has given to us. I am so thankful for all these traditions and wonderful things we get to do to remember...

A Christmas Favorite:

9 comments:

Melanie said...

I am glad to hear that someone else struggles in decided which family to spend their time with. It is soo nice having both families close together, and at the same time such a pain. Cute pictures, I must say the manger is my fav!

Alysha Sladek said...

sounds busy and fun. great pictures. love the pic in the previous post.

Jolanda said...

Ashley...All I have to say is BABYWISE! I don't even 100% follow it with Allie, but I am pretty tight about the every 3 hour feeding and just trying my best to keep her up for at least an hour after each feeding. Works like a charm...my boys also BOTH slept through the night (12 hours) at 8 weeks old.

Hayley said...

I can't believe how aware you are of the time line for the two days! I guess it is more of an itinerary for you. I am already excited for next Christmas! Oh, except can we go squeeze in going to a traditional Midnight Mass next year? In latin? We always forget about that when it is actually Christmas time...

Unknown said...

Ashley, I haven't seen you forever! I haven't even seen your little guy yet! I love the Christmas pics, especially the matching pj's!

Heather said...

I love the matching jammies and I LOVE the "manger". So cute. Great pics, thanks for posting them all.

Becky said...

Oh I miss Christmas already!!! SO many amazing pictures! And I really love the matching jammies! So cute! We love to do jammies, too!

Alanna said...

LOVE the Kaia pictures. And shhh...don't tell anyone that pile of presents was all mine...it was so embarrassing. Aren't we not supposed to get so spoiled as adults...okay, I'm not really complaining.

ZogLady said...

So much to say!!!

1) I love Christmas as well for teh exact same reason.... Bringing family and friends together. It's honestly one of my favorite holidays.

2) I also love that Jaymeson was baby Jesus! Adorable!

3) Love, love, love how you too have to bounce back and forth from families homes.... We do the same every year... *sigh*

4) Merry Christmas! A bit late yes... But still meant the same!