"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Kienna

Well, it's been a crazy day. I'm down in Calgary so I can help my sister prepare for her piano exam. In order to keep my kids out of my hair, my mom went shopping with Kienna while Saryn was asleep, so all I had to watch was Kaia. Anyway, Kienna decided that she wanted to get out of the cart at Superstore, so she stood up to jump to my mom. My mom knew that she wouldn't be able to get her, so she walked to the side of the cart and told Kienna to wait a second. Kienna obviously didn't hear her, so she leaned over to be caught, lost her balance and tumbled onto the ground. Her head and left shoulder hit first. Her ear is super swollen and we were really worried about a concussion. My mom of course, brought her home and we were watching her eyes and making sure nothing was changing. I picked her up to check it out, when she screamed and we noticed that she had a really sore shoulder. After she spilled water on her shirt, she wanted it changed and it was so hard for her that she cried the whole way through.....so, off to the doctor we went. She started screaming as she approached the walk in counter and so they took us right in - yay. The doctor said that he wasn't worried about her head, she seemed okay, but her shoulder should be x-rayed to confirm that it wasn't broken. He said it's not very swollen and it didn't have a bump, so it was probably sprained, but it didn't hurt to check. So, we had to go across the street to get the x-ray and since I couldn't carry her and the seatbelt would hurt her shoulder, they gave her a wheelchair (she called it her Coach - like Cinderella) so I could wheel her over there. So, "Princess" Kienna had to go get an x-ray....she was so hyper, it was hilarious. She was goofing off and being so silly, the whole waiting room was laughing at her. She even said that her arm didn't hurt any more.....I love wasting time, but since we were there.... Anyway, they took her in (they didn't want me in there for the x-ray) and she just jumped out of her chair to get up on the table and forgot how much her arm really hurt. As soon as she put her arm out, she screamed. They brought her back to me after and gave me the prints right away. She said she didn't like it there even though it was a nice lady (although nice ladies shouldn't take kids away from their mommies). So back to the doctor, and we find out that it was indeed broken. Her clavicle has a nice crack right through it right down the middle. She's been so brave, and of course is SO tired (she's been sleeping for a while). She has her arm in a sling (which isn't enough since she can't stop moving it). She wanted to take Peso (my Granny's dog that my Mom is watching) for a walk, so we went and as we came back to the house, she slipped on the front steps and fell right on her arm again. So back into hysterics..... Anyway, she's now watching Pollyanna (and sleeping) and seems to be doing better. I took some pictures, so I thought I'd post them. So here you go.......




11 comments:

stone's eye view said...

That is one happy kid with a broken clavicle.

Alanna said...

Way to go Kienna! What a brave girl! I could see her bad ear in the far away shot, too. That sling doesn't look very impressive. Does it work?

Marilee said...

Poor thing. My clavicle hurts just reading this post. She looks pretty happy for being so sore.

Jolanda said...

Poor girl. That sounds so painful!
I guess little girls can get into as much trouble as little boys. Kids sure keep life interesting.

Ashley Dawn said...

The doctor said that this kind of sling is better for kids because they don't get their arms all tangled up in the whole thing. As long as her arm is at a 90 degree angle, it's effective. It's just there to keep her still (I'm thinking about adding the other one on top because she sure doesn't like to keep it still).

Alysha Sladek said...

you had your camera!!!! nice! i'm so sorry that happened! poor kid. hopefully it heals quickly and she's not in too much pain. it just makes me so sad when they get hurt!

Oler Family said...

That little sling is so small! Poor little girl and your poor mom! I hope that it heals quickly!

Anonymous said...

Well. MY 4 girls never, ever broke any bones.
Their brother was a different story. I'm surprised he still dares to get on a bike. No wonder I was scared the entire time he was on his mission.
I guess Kienna's apple doesn't fall too far from the tree...

LindsayB said...

poor little gal. i hope she feels better soon so she doesn't miss out on being a kid in the summer! and i see you're having a boy! YAY! (and of course i'll add that i was right!) and i still like harrison, and rhett too!

Becky said...

My sister and brother both broke the clavical. So great!!!
If you check out my blog, Emma just broke her left leg last week. It's rough being two in a cast!!!
Hang in there!
love,
Becky Ruff (0:
Smile

Hilary said...

Oh poor girl! Yikes! What a trooper, though, you have to hand it to her to smile throughout the ordeal. How's she doing now?