"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Sunday, December 28, 2014

My Sweet Jay

We just had a wonderful Christmas. I can't wait to update all about it. But for now I just want to write down a few things about Jaymeson that happened the week leading up to Christmas.

His prayer one night made me laugh. It was so sincere though, and it was neat to see what he has been learning. He thinks heavenly father for many things, he asked for his blessings for others.  Then he randomly said, "and I just wanted to ask a quick question. How do you repent?"  Then he closed the prayer.  Not even two seconds later, he said, "oh, I know the answer now!"  I love that he is learning that he can receive an answer to prayer!

At dinner on night, Benson wasn't eating food. I was trying to remind him that Santa was watching (because he had found a Marshmallow Gun that he would do anything for). So I said, 
"Benson, who's watching?"
"Mom & Dad?"
"Well, yes, who else?"
Then Jay jumped in.  "God is watching".
I stopped then and there. True. And that's all that matters.

In primary, the kids were answering questions in a game of Christmas  Pictionary. Jaymeson got two of the answers correct, so instead of getting the reward twice he got to choose one other person to put a piece of the nativity up instead. He had a lot of the kids wanting it to be their turn, hands were up everywhere and people calling him to pick them.  He overlooked all of them and went straight for a little girl who has Rett Syndrome.  She can't talk and needs assistance for almost everything.  He had been sitting by her earlier and was trying to be her friend.  I was incredibly touched by his actions - especially for a six year old boy.

For about two weeks, Jaymeson has been constantly reminding me that he needs to serve the neighbours.  "Those neighbours" he would say, pointing to a very specific house (our only
next-door neighbour's).  I'm guessing he was told to serve his neighbours in Primary that week.  Regardless, he had been begging me and it was never the right time (right at dinner or bedtime or as we were running off to a lesson etc.).  Finally we had about 15 minutes on a Friday after his last day of school for this year.  I took him over and he knocked on the door.
"Can I do any service for you?"
"Oh my goodness, thank you.  Um, let me see.  What can you do?"
"I can clean a room or carry things because I'm strong, or..."
"Well, my daughter Jessica is moving out right now.  She has a few things that need to be carried to her car.  Could you help her do that?"
"Yes."
He proceeded to carry a bunch of games etc. to Jessica's car for her while I visited with our neighbour.  After about 5 minutes he just came up to me and said, "okay, we can go home now, I'm done".  No need for any thanks or anything, just had to serve them and now he's good.  What a sweet, sweet boy.

Not sure where this all came from, but I've been very grateful to be his mom and watch him learn and piece things together.  It has, in turn, helped me learn so much.


1 comment:

Alanna said...

WOW Ash... he's something special! I love that neighbor story and especially that you listened to him and made it happen for him.