"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Saturday, December 13, 2014

The most wonderful time of the year!

Over the last few years, I've had a hard time feeling the Christmas spirit until Christmas Eve. I guess it's just that reality hasn't really set in that it's Christmas time again, but for some reason I just haven't felt the Christmas spirit as strong as I would like.

This year, however, it has been so much more vivid to me. Today I was listening to Handel's Messiah, and it was just such an inspiring experience. It really has taken me back over the past month and helped me remember some things that I wanted to write down on my blog.
We set up for Christmas about a month ago, right after Remembrance Day. I have thoroughly enjoyed having the tree up, the garland on the stairs, the stockings, the advent calendar, the nativity sets and everything else Christmas.  Right on the first day, I felt the Christmas spirit taking over our house. The kids were snuggling with Jarett, they were getting along, and all was right.


Even while decorating cookies (on crazy hair day at school), everyone got along! Jarett put on some music and the kids started dancing with each other and had a line going where they were doing kicks and jumping and dancing. 


I find that I have been listening to Christmas music more this year.  Might have something to do with it.  I just got Handel's Messiah today.  But before today, I have been listening to Brad Paisley's Christmas album, Celine Dion's Christmas album, Josh Groban's, and the Piano Guys.  Another favorite song, is Christmas in Sarajevo.  Music just seems to bring such a spirit with it!

I think that the other main reason I have been able to feel the Christmas spirit more is because I'm trying not to spend as much money this Christmas so much as find meaningful gifts to give. I haven't been as obsess with the money and budgeting behind it but more on the spirit of giving.  It has made me more excited than I have been for a long time!  I just hope that my kids appreciate it, and don't ask where all the other presents are.

I've been doing some reading of A Christmas Carol by Dickens.  That is such an inspiring book!!
Of course, reading about the life of the Savior leading up to Christmas has probably been the biggest reason of all.  He truly is the reason we celebrate everything in life!!  What a beautiful, perfect gift we have been given!

Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

Alanna said...

Good thoughts...interesting how less shopping helps