"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Kaia

Due to various reasons, multiple debates and a school counsel, Kaia skipped Grade 6 this year and went into Grade 7.  Along with switching peers, she has also changed schools and moved into Jr High.  She has, because of being isolated from her siblings, received a cell phone.  This decision was made to simplify my life so that I can correspond with her during school hours and let her know where to go after school and who she will be going with. Although I still feel that these are valid reasons, I have wondered if it's really worth the expense etc.

Today, Kaia called me from school at lunch time.  She's worried about a girl in her class who is acting up.  She's being unkind to her fellow students, and doing other inappropriate things.  Kaia wasn't sure what the appropriate response is.  She wanted to know the best way to help this girl.  She had decided to talk to the  guidance counsellor, but wanted to see if I had any other suggestions or ideas.  I was proud of her for being concerned... And also happy that she cares enough to do something about it.

I'm also really glad she has her phone because I have learned a whole new purpose for it.  She is able to make me a part of her more difficult social decisions - as long as she thinks to call.  I sure appreciate that she cares enough and trusts me enough to do so.  Let's just pray that we can keep this relationship going through all her teenage years!

1 comment:

Alanna said...

I remember hearing in a general conference a list of ways to honor your parents (besides the usual "obey them"). The item on the list that stood out to me was "ask them for advice." I thought it was cool to think of asking their advice as honoring them. I'd never thought of that, but yet it was obvious that that is definitely honoring them. Anyway, thought it seemed applicable to Kaia and you. She's honoring you as her mother.