"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Money Can't Buy Everything...

Well, I am sitting here today pondering the big deal that is money.  Supposedly Money can't buy everything.... BUT there sure is a whole lot that it CAN buy and it seems as though there is some truth in "Money makes the world go round".  At least, it sure keeps people running around in the world.  I've been reviewing budgets, trying to sell a house, trying to find a better house in a better place for a better price (harder than it sounds), trying to start teaching piano in the fall and looking forward to Jarett being admitted to the bar in one weeks time.  All these time consuming, thought comsuming things revolve around Money.

So what is it that makes us SO focused on Money?  Well, it feeds us, clothes us and shelters us... and those are basic needs.  It can make us feel happy when we use it to help others.  It can pamper us, protect us and fill our lives with many wonderful things.  I think that the big thing is that without money, we can't do many of those things.  On the other hand, money can bring us too much, our lives get cluttered with nice things, but TOO many.  How often do we find ourselves short of money, but surrounded by too many things.  (This would be why garage sales become quite popular).  I'm SO sick of having so many things around me.  I feel like taking at least half of my things and just giving them away.  Have a "Take whatever you want" garage sale and call it a day.  Why do we keep buying things that we end up not really wanting less than a week later??

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just go into a place where money wasn't a factor?  We could trade our goods and services for other goods and services and not have to worry about money.  How neat would it be if making a skirt would pay for lessons?  or babysitting would get you some eggs?  I wish we lived back in the day where you just went out and claimed your land and built your own house.  There were no set floor plans you HAD to chose from.  There wasn't plots of land around the houses that were so small that you couldn't even grow a garden.   I wish my kids could have a good education at home that consisted of learning how to be good Mom's one day instead of whatever new liberal agenda is out there... and I didn't have to pay almost $2000 a year to have them learn a regulated curriculum for the "average student", be on a bus for an hour and a half and be able to eat lunch (that was sent from home) at the school.  Shouldn't a teacher LOVE their job?  And shouldn't she actually get paid more than the administration who sits at their desks and decide what school deserves more funds than others?

People get so corrupted by money as well.  I have seen good people go crazy over the lack payment.  People fight with each other over a mere dollar (I'm not just talking about bartering... I mean when people feel ripped off by service and are SCREAMING at eachother...).

I'm just sick of it all today.  It truly drives me crazy to have to count pennies daily.  I really wish that people could be trustworthy enough that you could just expect good service and honest payment for a good exchange.

I should point out that I TOTALLY understand that people, in general, will try to get the best deal for themselves to the point that they totally take advantage of other people.  I realize that this is WHY we need a constant to even things out.  I REALIZE that this is why money is what it is...  I just wish we were all above that.  Sigh, one day...

PS - I should also say that no one has ripped me off recently or anything.  It's just a mere reflection on the world and my budget. ;)

2 comments:

Alanna said...

Are you sure that no one ripped you off recently???
Some people DO go crazy about money. But some people really are kind with it too. And fortunately I think often those who have the right perspective are happier... even the businesses that are honest and have a policy of "caring" usually do better in the end.
But I know it can be VERY stressful when it comes to the necessities and then you wish the whole concept would disappear.

stone's eye view said...

Love that last picture. We all can waste money so easily.... see you tomorrow!!