"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Slight Difference

Well, after having 3 girls, I didn't know how it would be to have a boy.  I just knew it would be different.  How different?  THAT is what I underestimated.  Just a few things that I've noted recently.

If you give a child a spoon while waiting for dinner:
Girl: Play house with it.  "Hello, I'm the Mommy spoon"
Boy: Play Airplane with it.  "Vrooommmm....." as it does dips and loops in the air.

If you give a child a doll:
Girl: Cuddle, nurture, love and dress it.
Boy: Squeeze it super tight, toss it in the air and wrestle with it

If you put on a good dancing song:
Girl: Twirl, spin, go up on toes, move arms in beautiful ballerina moves and ask parents if they look so beautiful.
Boy: jump, stomp, kick, hop, run, turn, fall down on purpose and improvise arm movements to make these look more macho.

If you read a child a picture book:
Girl: point out families and flowers and all things beautiful
Boy: point out any truck/car/airplane etc.

If you teach a child "sounds":
Girl: understand and repeat any and all animal sounds with only a few repetitions
Boy: throw animal book in the corner insisting that he wants a truck/car book and will learn all automotive noises flawlessly after only a few repetitions

If you see a child communicate and play with toys:
Girl: will pick up books, dolls, barbies, stuffed animals etc. and almost anything is made into a family setting where they converse or at least make distinct communicative sounds.  They interact and verbalize almost everything from a VERY young age. 
Boy: find out how to move and run and climb VERY early.  They point and make attention getting noises until you come and give them what they want... Their toys all become cars/swords no matter what they are.  (Jaymeson once found lip gloss in my purse and was driving it along the pew at church.)  Anything long and skinny instantly is a sword as well.

If you see a child eat:
Girl: Complain if a mess gets on them and, generally, they stay put until done (which isn't always with a finished plate)
Boy: Non-selective.  Enjoy any and all food (especially stuff that feels gooey in hands and on face).  Can never have enough.

If you are on the phone:
Girl: "Mom, can I talk to _________?" Then they talk to the person longer and harder than you'd ever imagine.
Boy: "Mom! Mom! Mom!"  or..... you instantly become a jungle gym with your arm bent for the little guy to climb on.

If you put on a movie:
Girl: Will sit and watch the entire duration and act out the movie for weeks to follow.
Boy: Will notice when the loud noises come on and any cars, but will be running around, doing flips off the couch until those parts come (if they manage to even stay in the room).

If you build a tower from blocks:
Girl: This instantly becomes a tower in a castle for a princess
Boy: This is an invitation to knock it down and laugh really hard while starting to build another one.

There really are countless other examples, if I was to name them all, there would be no end to this post.  Many of these, I noticed while watching my sisters boys... but many have come to life at a whole new level with little Jaymeson.  I can officially say that anyone who has the opinion, "Boys and Girls are exactly the same, it's just how you treat them that makes the difference" has clearly not had a boy and girl to raise on their own.

I sure have loved having my girls in all their prettiness and princesshood.  They are sweet and tame and so much fun to play with.... boys sure keep you busy and constantly on the move, getting into mischief all the time.  They are so much fun and teach me a new perspective.  They are both so wonderful in their own individual ways.  Being a mom is SO much fun - being able to get to know the different personalities of each child and each gender.  It really is a constant learning experience!

8 comments:

Alanna said...

Have I ever told you have glad I am that you have a boy! I feel like you understand my life better now.
...if only I could understand ours better one day! sigh.
Great post.. very funny.. very true!

Brittany said...

I love how true this is. As you explain these situations I could usually remember a time when it happened.

Anonymous said...

You have only just begun...
The puberty/teenage years are ahead. Major, MAJOR differences.
GOOD LUCK! I'm moving!!! hahahahhaha...
-g

Alysha Sladek said...

hahah I loved this!! SOOOO true! other than the food part (for Will at least - that kid will eat NOTHING!)

Anonymous said...

sooo true

Becky said...

I love this post!!!
I sometimes look around at my Pink-and-Purple-Sparkly-Princess-Fairy-Land and think "I don't know if a little boy would survive here".
LOVE IT!!!

Heather said...

That is a fabulous post! Thanks for the laugh. I get to only observe these difference when I get together with friends and family. How fun that you're experiencing it now!

Kimberly Anne said...

LOOOVE this :) Mainly becuase I love the little kid-a-links you're talking about. I miss them and can't wait to see them again. Man, I can't wait to be a mom of my own some day :)