"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Monday, April 19, 2010

My First Quilt!

It all started when my darling Mother-in-law made a jean quilt for Jarett on his mission.
 She worked hard and was going to finish it for his homecoming, but then she thought, "What if Jarett's wife doesn't like the material I choose for this?"  Translation: "Well, I'm done the fun part and I could use this as an excuse to make Jarett's wife do all the hard stuff." (my interpretation may be completely off, but no promises either way).

Regardless of what the case may be, I finally started this quilt last summer while we were staying with Jarett's parents.  I fell in love with the apple fabric that I saw at Fabricland and it was even on sale because of a store relocation.  SOLD!  I trimmed the quilt, appliqued, cut & added batting, framed and backed the quilt and then stopped for the summer.  I didn't know what else to do.  I have never done a quilt before (so I needed to help) and things got hectic near the end of the summer.

Since returning to Calgary this month to move here, my sister has pushed me to get the binding done so that we could start another quilt project before she ditches out and moves to Maryland (another post to come about this).  So, she showed me how and I've been working on it for about a week and a half (along with us juggling 8 kids) and I finished it TODAY!!  I'm so excited.  Anyway, enough to do about quilting - hope you enjoyed the pictures!
At least I know that Jaymeson likes it!
He really can't stay off of it.

10 comments:

Alanna said...

Ashley, I'm so proud of you!!! It's such a beautiful quilt. You are an expert binder... so glad you found joy in the process!

Alysha Sladek said...

looks great. the red and denim look great together.

Calgary Legal Real Estate Blog said...

Reading how excited you were to finish it, I was surprised to not a pic of a Toyota jump. Congrats on finishing it. It's going to look great, cuz it will match the fruity/blue collar motif in the new house's East Wing's 2nd spare bedroom.

Calgary Legal Real Estate Blog said...

Sorry, but if you want me to leave comments they are going to be like this. This is all I know how to do.

Anonymous said...

You lucky girl, you! To have such a wonderful MIL!!!
See! She was thinking of you even before you existed in Jarett's life!
P.S. And she doesn't want to hear from you when you try to wash that huge, heavy behemoth!!!
Just think! Now you've finished almost as many large quilts as she has!

Mackenzie Richards said...

Looks awesome Ashley! I love the red /denim combo, and the fact it was on sale is even better. Good work!

Anonymous said...

"Fruity/blue collar motif"?
Who says that?
Sounds like lawyer verbage.

stone's eye view said...

Looks great. I need to get Lella's done that I started.

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

the quilt is super cute!!!

Beryl Shoekel said...

Congrats! Ash, so happy you have finished the quilt, it does look lovely, even better in real life than it even looks in the pictures. How fun for you and Alanna to work on things together. It will be a fun quilt for many future picnics.