"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Writing on the Wall

So, Saryn snuck out of bed last night, found a dry-erase marker (which might as well be a permanent marker) and colored this lovely picture on the wall.

I truly have mixed feelings about this. Although, I'm sure most people can understand the frustration, I couldn't help being proud of Saryn's happy face and heart. She drew it for the first time on paper earlier in the day, but I didn't see it very clearly. She was SO proud of it, and therefore, needed to remind me of what a good little artist she was. Since this is so much clearer and I can't keep it on a piece of paper forever, I thought I'd take a picture of the masterpiece... now how to get rid of it??

This is another drawing. It was done in December and is still up on my bedroom wall.
Same marker. Nothing has worked.
I laugh every time I see this picture though. Kaia so obviously drew this, since no one else can draw a stick figure (except for Jarett and I, but I know I didn't do it, and I sincerely hope Jarett is past this stage). Kaia, however, swore up and down that Saryn drew this.
Another litte note is that it's about a foot above the light switch. Kaia probably had to stand on her tippy toes to draw it, so Saryn couldn't even reach it if she REALLY wanted to. Anyway, Kaia fessed up after I pointed these two things out, but it makes me laugh. Maybe that's why I can't get it off....I need the laugh daily.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha o man only a mother would truley be unable to decide if she was mad or happy about thaT!

Hayley said...

I am impressed by the heart especially...I wonder about the dry erase thing...that seems really weird that it doesn't come out.

Sheers said...

oh man! That totally stinks! I'm sure you've tried these...but hairspray, or mr. clean magic eraser, or rubbing alcohol? Yikes! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Paint is really great at getting marker off the wall, i hear!!! (try magic erasers- they are truly amazing)

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I think you are amazing to drive with FOUR kids! Too bad we'll miss each other in Calgary this week, but let me know next time you are down for sure!
sarah

stone's eye view said...

Your kids are quite the artists!
I once drew a clown on the table cloth with a pen, Mom thought it was one of the older kids and I got away with it. Later, I etched some lettering on the fireplace in the family room with a nail right after we moved into the Sundance house. I was caught that time, I wrote my own name.

Kim Hughes said...

Wait until it's on your upholstery...I've heard a few horror stories about that.

Such cute pictures though! I think you may have a couple Picasso's on your hand.

Alysha Sladek said...

it's a good thing you can laugh about it. if the magic eraser doesn't work, the next thing I'd do it paint. anyhow, if you find something that DOES work, let me know... i've got a few "artists" around my place too...

Anonymous said...

So. The apples don't fall too far from the tree. Jarett, with red permanent marker drew ALL over his dear mother's brand new beige-colored sofa when he was about the same age. A professional upholstery cleaner person had to come to the house to mostly get it out. His dear mother obviously allowed Jarett to live to see another day. And, no, mom wasn't babysitting that day; a babysitter was. She cried and cried and cried.

Ashley Smith said...

Magic erasers got permanant marker off of my table. Otherwise I would try oxyclean and water. It get stuff (pen, marker, food etc. ) out of my couch and carpet pretty well.

Laura Leavitt said...

That is a really good picture. Good job Saryn. I have had dry erase pictures on our walls and sometimes the magic eraser gets it and the odd time it does not. I think I make sure it is really wet then scrub like there is no tomorrow.

Alanna said...

Sometimes kids are so smart and good at pulling the wool over your eyes, that I feel like celebrating when they leave such obvious evidences that you can trap them on, eh? Congrats on a small victory for the parent side of the battle! PS Did she draw a ponytail on her stick figure?

April said...

What an artist- and what an attitude you have! Good job- and good luck!