"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What Home Schooling Looks Like

Well, I confess, I only have time to take pictures on the smoother days, so it doesn't always look like this.  But, as I get a lot of questions as to what goes on and how I balance things.... here you have it.  Some pictures that I took two days ago.  (Saryn is always happy to model for me!)

We each have a Math Workbook that we do a section out of daily.

We also have a workbook which covers maps, writing, grammar, science and social studies.

Music Lessons daily

Saryn pointing to the country we studied that day out of "Story of the World"  We talked about the Nazca Drawings found in Peru.  The kids thought that was pretty cool.

The girls all pointing to some of the fun places we've studied.  Of course, the boys sometimes get in the way.

Favorite places that we have studied thus far!  (Jaymeson doesn't get in the way quite as much.)  He just wants to be a part of things.  Jaymeson pointing to Calgary, Kaia to Peru, Saryn to Africa (supposed to be Egypt) and Kienna to China.  If I was on there, I'd be pointing to Mesopotamia, because I've found that fasc inating.

Art Class

Bookmarks we made yesterday


One of the things Jaymeson does, while we're in school, is fly around with his super capes and watch for bad guys.

Our bead creations from last weeks art lesson


What Jaymeson did for art while we did the bookmarks.

Kaia doing music lessons


On of the main questions I'm asked is "What do you do with the younger kids while you're with your older ones in school?"  Thus the pictures of Jaymeson.  He keeps busy, enjoys the stories, loves the art and has his own math book which he LOVES because he feels like such a big boy.  Benson, on the other hand, frequently gets in the way, but is starting to enjoy coloring, reading books and crawling around to discover stuff while we're in school.  Generally, he naps in the morning and we're done by lunch time, so it's rare that he's there for it, but when he is awake, he's doing better!

We still are loving home school.  It definitely has it's rough days, but overall it is so wonderful to spend time as a family.  This afternoon, we'll be heading to the zoo for phys ed and for science class!  Maybe a post about that will be soon to follow!

2 comments:

Beryl Shoekel said...

Ash!
I think I commented about all your teaching experiences further along in your blog. Obviously I made my comments in the wrong area.
Your home school teaching looks very impressive.
Love you!

Alanna said...

Yeah Ash--you still amaze me. I loved getting this glimpse! And can I say that Saryn looks so cute in that yellow sweater, jean skirt outfit! And Kaia's hair is so pretty in that map picture and I like her gray shirt too! And I really am impressed with your bookmarks. Please tell me you did that black, brown and gold one--it's sooo cool!