"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." (Elizabeth Stone)

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lullabye

Small craft in a harbor, that's still and serene
Give no indication what their ways have been.
They rock at their moorings all nestled in dreams
Away from the roll of the sea.

Their stern lines are groaning a lullabye air
A ghost in the cuddy, a gull on the spar
But never they whisper of journeys afar,
Away from the roll of the sea.

Oh, had they the tongues for to speak,
What tales of adventure they'd weave.
But now they are anchored to sleep and slumber alee.

Come fair winds to wake them tomorrow, we pray.
Come harvest aplenty to them every day
Till' guarded by harbour lights, they're home to stay.
Away from the roll of the sea.

Away from the roll of the sea.

Music has ALWAYS been a big part of my life. I seem to use it the most in 2 situations these days. Piano lessons and lullabyes. The song above was one of the MANY I sang when I was in the Calgary Girls Choir. I loved the lyrics to it along with the soothing music. I had forgotten about it for a long time, but sang it to Saryn yesterday for her nap and she fell asleep in my arms. It was one of those very tender moments in motherhood that I just didn't want to go away. I sang this tonight again, and all three of the girls fell almost immediately to sleep. It just might become an instant favorite for both mom and girls.

Kaia sleeping when she was 2.
Honestly now, who thought this was Saryn at first glance?

We usually do MANY primary songs. Favorites always include: I love to see the Temple, Once there was the Snowman, I am a Child of God, My Heavenly Father Loves Me, A Child's Prayer and Love is Spoken Here. There are others as well, but these are usually the favorites for lullabye time. One more song is the Angels Lullabye. It's from "My Turn on Earth" which was a favorite play of mine growing up. Jarett and I both heard this song before we knew eachother and we both wanted to sing it to our kids when we had them. It has been sung many times, and it is a favorite of the girls. I love the lyrics.

You came from a land where all is light,
To a world half day and a world half night.
To guard you by day, you have my love;
To guard you by night, your friends above.

So, sleep, sleep till' the darkness ends
Guarded by your angel friends.
So, sleep, sleep till' the darkness ends
Guarded by your angel friends.

There's one set softly by your bed
And another sits close with a hand on your head.
There's one at the window watching for the dawn
And one waits to wake you when the night is gone.

So, sleep, sleep till' the darkness ends
Guarded by your angel friends.
So, sleep, sleep till' the darkness ends
Guarded by your angel friends.

12 comments:

Ashley Smith said...

sorry this is a random question about sleeping. How do you put kids of different ages to sleep in the same room. I am having a hard time trying to figure this out. What about when one wakes up at night do they all wake up?

Cindy Anderton said...

I just started doing Popcorn popping and she loves it. At least someone enjoys my singing besides you!

Anonymous said...

hey, lullabyes r amazing we sing three every night, (we had to pick a number or angie would jsut want to go on and on. we have a lullaby book with a CD that goes along, i am not as talented in the singing as you lol

Bree Johnson said...

I love that first song! We sang it when I was in chamber choir! Thats so cool someone else knows it too- it truly is a beautiful song- I have a recording of it if you'd like a copy

Alysha Sladek said...

music is so wonderful. i love that you sing to them. i think my kids would end up having nightmares if I sang to them :) that's sooo cute that they fell asleep. and i have to admit at FIRST glance i did think it was saryn

Brittany said...

I totally thought that was Saryn

stone's eye view said...

Yes, I thought it was Saryn.
I'm trying to be like Jesus is another primary favorite of ours. (We liked all the other ones you listed.) The kids also like "Joseph Was An Onion." But I rarely sing it for bedtime.
"joseph was an unimportant slave who found...."

Alanna said...

Yes, I thought it was Saryn...I had to convince myself otherwise. I'd forgotten the My Turn on Earth Lullaby. I'll have to put it to memory! Thanks for sharing. That's awesome that they actually fall asleep to the singing...that only happens to me rarely and it IS very satisfying!

Heather said...

I forgot about Angel Lullaby. Thanks for the reminder! Can't wait to sing it to them tomorrow.

Hayley said...

I sand Away From the Roll of the Sea in girls choir in High school. I love it. Also thought that it was Saryn. Crazy.

Jordana said...

It's amazing how music and singing can calm kids down. Jayna LOVES it music and I wish I had a little more talent in that area to impart to her. Fun to see which songs you see with your kids at home, because Kienna ALWAYS picks I love to see the Temple to sing in class. Oh, and I totally thought that was Saryn, that's crazy how much they looked alike at that age!

Jordana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.